Tokyo first-time buyer looking for a sensible place to start

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
Hello from Tokyo. I’m a first-time buyer trying to understand villas, transaction costs, and the gap between advertised and completed prices. At the moment I have plenty of listings but no reliable way to organise what I’m learning.

I joined because I’d also like to compare how buyers approach these questions in other markets without assuming that their rules or terminology apply to Japan. For anyone following Japan, would you start with the local board, a particular kind of market dataset, or threads covering the first-purchase process?
 
I’d begin with the local board and separate your reading into two piles: completed-price evidence and buying-process discussions. Listing prices help you understand what sellers are asking, but they shouldn’t be mixed into the same comparison as completed transactions. Threads on transaction costs are then useful for turning a headline price into a realistic total budget.
 
When you say villas, do you mean detached homes in Tokyo, holiday-style properties elsewhere in Japan, or properties marketed internationally under that label? That distinction could change which comparisons are useful. It would also help to know whether this is intended as your home, a rental investment, or a mixture of both.
 
That intended use matters for the spreadsheet too. An owner-occupier may focus on mortgage payments, renovation and future resale, while an investment model also needs assumptions for management, maintenance, occupancy and eventual selling costs. I would avoid building one large model until Amelia has narrowed the property type and purpose.
 
I’d add a caveat to the cross-market comparison. It can be excellent for finding questions you have overlooked, but poor for transferring conclusions. Even familiar terms may describe different property types or transaction steps. Use overseas threads to improve your question list; use Japan-specific discussions when deciding what applies to an actual purchase.
 
A practical first-purchase list could be kept fairly short:

1. Define the property type and intended use. 2. Record advertised and completed prices in separate columns. 3. Add transaction, finance, renovation and ongoing ownership costs. 4. Compare mortgages using the same loan amount, term and deposit assumptions. 5. Keep legal and property-condition questions in a separate list for the relevant local professionals.

That should also reveal where the available data is thin rather than giving a false sense of precision.
 
Also decide how much renovation uncertainty you can tolerate before comparing individual listings. A cheaper property needing substantial work may not really belong in the same set as a ready-to-use one. If management is relevant, note whether you are modelling self-management or paid management; otherwise two apparently similar investments can rest on very different assumptions.
 
Welcome, Amelia. I’d follow the sequence suggested above rather than searching for one definitive dataset: clarify what “villa” means in your search, read the local board for Japan-specific process questions, then build a small sample that keeps asking and completed prices distinct. Once you have that, members can give much sharper feedback on the missing costs, mortgage comparison and renovation assumptions.
 
Back
Top