Tokyo property transactions: ask about the surprises before committing

knitsAndAtlas

Homeowner
Established
I work around the Tokyo property market and am opening a practical Q&A for buyers and sellers who are trying to decide whether a transaction is workable before committing. Common areas of confusion include the evidence behind pricing, how much room there really is to negotiate, transaction fees, financing timelines, and coordination between the people involved.

Please include the jurisdiction, property type, and whether you are buying or selling. Questions about who controls reports or other documents if a deal stops, and how conflicts are disclosed, are also welcome. I’ll separate practical experience from matters requiring regulated advice; local professionals can compare processes without assuming Tokyo practice applies elsewhere.
 
For a purchase in Tokyo, what should a buyer request before deciding that an asking price is reasonable: comparable transactions, an explanation from the seller’s side, or both? I’m also curious whether the realistic negotiation limit usually comes from market evidence or simply the seller’s instructions. Those can point in very different directions.
 
Both are useful, but they answer different questions. Pricing evidence helps someone assess value; the seller’s instructions indicate whether a lower offer has any chance of being accepted. Neither proves what the final price should be.

I would also ask who each professional represents and whether any relationship or competing interest needs to be disclosed. That matters when the same person is explaining the price and conveying the negotiation position.
 
I wouldn’t treat financing timing as secondary to price. An offer that looks acceptable can still be impractical if the lender’s process and the proposed transaction schedule do not match. Before negotiating hard, the buyer should identify which dates are genuine constraints and which are merely preferred.

Document ownership also deserves a separate written question. Who may keep or reuse a valuation, inspection, or other paid report can depend on the engagement terms and the issuer, so assumptions are risky.
 
A useful pre-offer list seems to be: evidence supporting the price, the seller’s actual flexibility, every expected fee, the financing sequence, who is coordinating each step, and what happens to paid-for documents if the transaction ends. I’d add one scope question: which answers are process guidance, and which require advice from a specifically regulated professional in Japan? That boundary is often more important than getting a quick answer.
 
Back
Top