Tokyo retail purchase: building a complete legal and tax cost checklist

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
I’m comparing ownership structures for a Tokyo retail unit priced at about ¥125,500,000. My first estimate covers transfer tax, registration and legal or notary costs, but I’m less confident about recurring property charges and costs linked to holding personally versus through an entity.

What categories are commonly absent from an initial estimate? I also want to ask a licensed local professional about residency, ownership restrictions, eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. The aim is a checklist, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for three separate schedules: costs due before or at closing, adjustments settled with the seller, and charges arising after ownership begins. A single “closing costs” total can hide that timing distinction. I’d also ask which items are calculated from the purchase price, which use another property value, and whether every quoted figure includes applicable tax and third-party charges.
 
The missing fact is who the buyer will be. Individual or entity, resident or non-resident, and buying with cash or finance? Also, is the unit already leased? Those answers may change the administration, annual filings and exit planning, so I would have the adviser price each realistic structure rather than discussing ownership in the abstract.
 
I’d be cautious about using somebody else’s completed transaction as the budget. Even another Tokyo retail purchase at a similar price could have a different title arrangement, valuation basis, closing date or building setup. A written scenario for this exact unit is more useful, including who calculates each charge and when the amount becomes final.
 
If this is a unit within a larger building, separate government charges from building-level expenses. Ask for the current management charges, reserve or repair contributions, insurance responsibilities and any approved but unpaid works. Those are not necessarily taxes, but they can be the annual or one-off amounts that make the original estimate look incomplete.
 
The exit side deserves its own meeting. Ask how a later sale would be treated under each proposed ownership structure, what records must be retained to establish acquisition and improvement costs, and whether residency at the time of sale matters. Inheritance planning should be considered before choosing the buyer name, not added after closing, especially if more than one jurisdiction may be involved.
 
One practical request: have the licensed local adviser mark every line as confirmed, estimated or not applicable. Include registration, any transfer-related tax, professional fees, seller adjustments, recurring property charges, entity setup or maintenance if relevant, and eventual sale or succession issues. I would also ask whether a notary is actually required for this transaction rather than carrying over a cost category from another country.
 
Back
Top