I’m comparing a Tokyo villa with higher-yield properties in cheaper markets. The villa’s current yield is modest, but Tokyo appears stronger on employment, transport access and eventual resale liquidity. The alternatives produce more cash now but may be harder to exit.
I’m inclined to require a minimum net cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. By net, I mean after a vacancy allowance, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, with financing costs stress-tested as well. Is that the sensible order, or can stronger fundamentals justify weak initial cash flow for a villa? I’d welcome disagreement, provided the underlying assumption is explicit.
I’m inclined to require a minimum net cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. By net, I mean after a vacancy allowance, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, with financing costs stress-tested as well. Is that the sensible order, or can stronger fundamentals justify weak initial cash flow for a villa? I’d welcome disagreement, provided the underlying assumption is explicit.