Tokyo villas at 41 days on market: variation or an early shift?

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
I’d like to treat this as normal June variation, but the current sample does not make that conclusion easy. For June 2025 I followed Tokyo villas advertised from ¥123,000,000 to ¥184,500,000, and the active listings have been marketed for about 41 days.

Condition may explain some of the spread: a renovated villa and one needing major work can sit in the same price bracket without attracting the same buyers. Agents have mentioned seasonality, while the transaction costs make the apparently cheaper options less clear-cut. I’m interested in recent completed sales and the timing of any price reductions. What evidence would make you view this as a genuine change rather than a property mix issue?
 
I’d lean toward ordinary variation for now. Forty-one days alone cannot show whether buyers are hesitating or whether a few difficult properties are pulling out the period. Recent completed sales would be more informative than active listings. I’d also count withdrawn villas separately; otherwise stock disappearing without a sale can make the segment look healthier than it is.
 
I’m not comfortable calling it ordinary variation without knowing how tightly you drew the neighbourhood boundaries. Two villas in the same price range can face very different demand because of location and condition. Also, what do you mean by transaction fees mattering more—are sellers changing their expectations because of the total cost, or are buyers reducing what they will offer?
 
That’s fair, but a narrow price band still has value if mortiz keeps the same boundaries each month. I’d add new-listing volume and the timing of price cuts. If 41 days remains stable while fresh supply rises, that tells a different story from low supply where listings sit until one motivated seller reduces the price.
 
Adding the price-cut dates raises another question: are sellers reacting within the 41 days, or are the same villas simply remaining unchanged? I’d keep a property-level record of neighbourhood, condition, original price, reductions and current status. Completed and withdrawn listings can then be checked against that original record rather than reconstructed later. Known financing problems or seller circumstances are worth noting, but blanks are better than assumptions. Another month of entries should give a firmer basis for judging the seasonal explanation.
 
Back
Top