Toronto 3-bed condo at C$1.343m: does C$4,632 rent work?

table.plain

Property investor
I am torn between judging this on net yield and judging it on monthly cash flow after financing. Either approach looks tight for a three-bedroom Toronto condo costing C$1,343,000 and renting for an estimated C$4,632 a month, which is only about 4.1% gross.

The unit and building appear to be in reasonable condition, but the condo fee and the building’s ability to fund major work could matter more than routine repairs inside the unit. My figures include management, vacancy, normal upkeep and a reserve, though I have not yet tested every financing scenario.

Which cost should be confirmed first before going further: what the condo fee covers, property tax and insurance, or the reserve position? I am concerned that a weak building reserve is the least reversible risk, while higher borrowing costs could remove the remaining cash flow very quickly.
 
At that gross yield, I’d focus on condo-fee increases and the possibility of major building work rather than ordinary repairs inside the unit. Property tax and insurance also need separate lines if they are not already included. I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until those costs are confirmed; there simply isn’t much gross income available to absorb surprises.
 
What does the current condo fee include, and are you buying with financing? Those two facts could change the answer completely. Heat or water included in the fee is different from paying a similar amount for mostly common-area costs. Likewise, a deal that is marginal before debt can become negative quickly when financing costs move.
 
Agreed on getting the inclusions, but I would not treat an inclusive fee as automatically better. Utilities can still rise through future fee increases, and the owner has less control over consumption. I’d model the current fee, a higher-fee case, and a one-off building contribution. If the investment only works in the first case, the 4.1% headline figure is doing too much work.
 
Vacancy may not be the biggest issue for a well-priced 3-bed, but tenant turnover can be. One empty period can come with cleaning, minor repairs, marketing or management costs at the same time. I’d combine vacancy and turnover into one stress event rather than assuming each cost arrives smoothly every year.
 
Separate property performance from financing: calculate net operating income after condo fees, property tax, insurance, management, vacancy and maintenance, then divide that by C$1,343,000. After that, apply the proposed loan terms to see cash flow. Otherwise a low payment can make the property look stronger even though the underlying yield remains thin.
 
I’m less concerned with naming one acceptable net yield than with the downside case. Reduce the C$4,632 rent, add a turnover period, increase condo fees and include the larger repair reserve in the same year. If that produces a cash shortfall you would be uncomfortable funding, the purchase price is probably too high for the income.
 
Practical next step: get the building’s current budget, financial position, recent history of major work and any planned projects, then replace every estimate you can with an actual figure. Also verify that C$4,632 is achievable for this specific unit rather than merely an asking rent for another 3-bed. With such a narrow gross margin, those two checks matter more than refining small maintenance assumptions.
 
Back
Top