Toronto apartment at C$1,418,000: which legal and tax costs get missed?

rhea.holt

Landlord
One update: I have asked for a written breakdown rather than another combined verbal figure, which raises a new question about how the costs should be grouped. The apartment is around C$1,418,000 in Toronto, and I want closing funds kept separate from annual property and building charges.

The breakdown should show each transfer, registration and legal cost, including whether any notary expense actually applies. I also need to establish the ownership form before assuming the ongoing charges are straightforward. For a licensed local adviser, I am preparing questions about residency, treatment of a later gain and inheritance planning. What unexpected item appeared when others completed a Canadian purchase?
 
Small follow-up: should I ask for three separate figures—cash required at closing, normal annual ownership costs, and costs or taxes triggered only by a future sale or inheritance? I’m concerned that combining them will either understate the closing funds or make the estimate look much larger than it really is.
 
Yes, separate them. For closing, ask for each applicable transfer-tax line, registration and professional fees, disbursements, and any adjustments between buyer and seller. For annual costs, confirm property tax and every building-related charge, including whether anything is billed separately. The missing fact is the legal ownership form: is this a conventional condominium unit, a co-op interest, or something else? “Apartment” alone does not answer that.
 
I’d go further and keep capital gains and inheritance out of the closing estimate entirely. They matter, but they depend on facts that may change over time. Ask the tax professional to model them separately. They will need to know whether the buyer is resident in Canada, how the apartment will be used, who will hold title, and whether another jurisdiction could also be relevant.
 
The three-part format makes sense, but add a fourth section for one-off building risks rather than hiding them under annual charges. Ask for the current fee schedule, any known special assessment, and what the purchaser must contribute or prepay at closing. Then send the same written assumptions—price of C$1,418,000, ownership form, intended use, residency and proposed title holders—to the local property and tax professionals. If their answers differ, you’ll know exactly which assumption needs resolving.
 
Back
Top