Toronto retail listings after 28 days: useful signal or mixed sample?

inez.sky

Seller
I’m tracking Toronto listings between C$345,600 and C$518,400, mostly retail units. The typical listing in my sample has now been visible for 28 days, but they are not moving together at all: some disappear quickly while others sit.

My working theory is that service charges explain much of the gap, although condition, financing and seller motivation could be muddying it. Before I draw conclusions, should I separate by neighbourhood and compare recent completed sales, price cuts and withdrawn stock? What are people seeing at street level?
 
I wouldn’t treat 28 days alone as evidence that a unit is stale. For retail, buyers will look beyond the asking price to the total carrying cost and the condition of the premises. Your neighbourhood point matters too: two units in the same price bracket may serve very different foot traffic and buyer pools. Separate those variables before blaming service charges.
 
That may be the weakness in my notes. I grouped by price first, so the sample crosses neighbourhood boundaries and doesn’t consistently distinguish fitted units from those needing work. I’ll split it into smaller location groups and record service charges separately. Would you give more weight to completed sales than to listings that simply disappear?
 
Completed sales are more useful, but a disappeared listing is still worth recording as withdrawn rather than assuming it sold. Otherwise the quick exits can make demand look stronger than it is. I’d also note when each price cut happened. A reduction after three weeks tells a different story from repeated cuts over a longer marketing period.
 
I’m not convinced service charges are the main explanation. They might expose an unattractive total cost, but seller motivation can create the same pattern. One owner may accept the market quickly; another may be testing a price and has no urgency. Compare the original ask, current ask and final outcome where available.
 
Financing could also separate apparently similar units. Rather than trying to label each listing as good or bad, add a column for anything that may narrow the buyer pool: condition, occupancy position if stated, unusual costs, or missing information. Some of those details may remain unknown, but marking them as unknown is better than treating every unit as equivalent.
 
Yes—completed sales first, then withdrawals and active listings as supporting evidence. Keep the neighbourhood groups tight enough to be meaningful, but don’t make them so small that one unusual unit dictates the picture. After that, see whether new-listing volume is replacing the stock that disappears. Rising choice and slow absorption would matter more than the 28-day figure by itself.
 
One further caveat: listing age can reset if a property is withdrawn and relisted, so the visible 28 days may not represent its full exposure. If you cannot verify the earlier history, flag that uncertainty. Your most practical comparison is probably all-in cost versus condition within the same small area, followed by seller price changes and the eventual outcome.
 
Back
Top