Toronto studio at C$1,060,000: what belongs on the legal and tax checklist?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
Buying the C$1,060,000 Toronto studio personally may look simplest, while choosing a different ownership arrangement might help with longer-term planning; I am not comfortable selecting either until the tax and succession effects are clear. I am also trying to separate the money required at closing from the charges that continue afterward.

Could anyone suggest the commonly missed questions for a Canadian property lawyer and tax adviser? I need a written breakdown of transfer and registration costs, professional fees, recurring property expenses and any restrictions relevant to an overseas buyer. I also want the advice to cover future sale treatment and inheritance rather than looking only at completion day.
 
Ask for one written estimate separating purchase costs from ongoing ownership costs. For Toronto, I would specifically ask whether every applicable transfer-tax layer has been included rather than accepting a single line marked “transfer tax.” Also clarify whether you need a lawyer rather than a notary for this transaction, what registration work is included, and what could be billed separately.
 
You have started identifying the transaction costs, but the intended use and form of ownership still need to be pinned down. First decide whether the studio will be a home, rental or occasional-use property. Then tell the advisers who will fund it, hold title and ultimately inherit it. Those answers should come before comparing structures or estimates, because they determine which residency, sale-tax and succession issues actually need attention.
 
I’d be cautious about choosing an ownership structure because it appears to simplify inheritance. It may create different annual filing, financing or sale consequences. Give the adviser your actual priorities—who provides the money, who should control the property, and who should receive it later—then ask for the trade-offs in writing.
 
Don’t let the legal checklist crowd out the property-specific recurring costs. Request the current property-tax amount, any regular building or shared charges, what those charges include, and whether a special or irregular payment is already contemplated. Those may not be closing costs, but they affect the first-year cash requirement just as much.
 
I partly disagree that everything needs to be resolved before getting estimates. A preliminary estimate can expose which facts matter. Send the same short scenario to each licensed professional: C$1,060,000 Toronto studio, your residency status, intended use, proposed title holders and likely holding period. Ask them to mark assumptions and identify costs they have excluded.
 
Also ask what happens at exit, not only at purchase. The useful questions are whether residency changes filing or withholding obligations, how the gain would be determined, and what records must be retained for improvements and transaction expenses. The answers are jurisdiction- and fact-sensitive, but learning the recordkeeping requirements now could prevent trouble later.
 
A practical final step is to turn the replies into three columns: due before or at closing, payable annually, and triggered by sale, death or a residency change. I’d add a fourth column naming who confirms each figure—the lawyer, tax adviser, lender, seller or building management. That makes omissions and conflicting assumptions much easier to spot.
 
Back
Top