Toronto studios: is insurance really driving the price spread?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
I have checked Toronto studio listings between C$658,800 and C$988,200, but I still cannot tell what the reported 7.6% movement represents across such a wide range. The snapshot also shows about 55 days on market, with condition appearing to influence negotiated outcomes.

Insurance may be contributing to the spread, although neighbourhood, building, withdrawn stock, financing and seller motivation could be producing the same pattern. Does anyone have recent completed examples or price-cut histories that would help separate those effects? Neighbourhood, property type and condition would make the comparisons much more useful.
 
I wouldn’t put insurance first without splitting the Toronto sample by neighbourhood and building. Fifty-five days can also be misleading if withdrawn and relisted stock is being treated as new. What exactly does the 7.6% measure—asking prices, completed-sale prices, or the gap between them? Also, are all of these studios the same property type and broadly comparable in condition?
 
Good challenge. They are studio listings, but I grouped them into one Toronto set rather than separating neighbourhood boundaries or individual buildings. That makes the 7.6% figure less useful than I implied, especially without matching it to completed sales. I’ll separate fresh listings, price cuts and withdrawals before drawing a conclusion about insurance.
 
I’d go further and question whether condition is really standing in for insurance. Seller motivation and buyer financing can produce a similar-looking discount, particularly after a listing has sat for several weeks. Record when the first cut occurred, not just total days on market, and compare the final sale with the asking price immediately before it sold.
 
The C$658,800 and C$988,200 ends should be analysed separately before insurance is treated as the explanation. Build a compact comparison by neighbourhood, building, studio type and condition, then add original and latest asking prices, first reduction date, total marketing time, withdrawn or relisted status, and completed price where known.

That will show whether 55 days reflects continuous exposure or recycled stock. It also gives seller motivation and financing constraints a fair test alongside insurance, rather than averaging several Toronto submarkets into one 7.6% figure.
 
Back
Top