Toronto villas at 67 days on market: noise or an early shift?

LuckyBeam

Property investor
Established
Sixty-seven days is the figure making me pause. It comes from a limited set of Toronto villas advertised between C$491,400 and C$737,100 in February 2025, so I do not want to treat it as a citywide measure.

The vacant homes appear to be following a different pattern from occupied ones. That could reflect seller motivation, condition or simply the neighbourhoods included. What would you compare next: completed transactions, financing outcomes, listing inflow or matched properties within tighter neighbourhood boundaries?
 
I would start with ordinary variation. A 67-day figure can be pushed around by condition, neighbourhood boundaries and a few sellers holding firm. Recent completed sales would be more persuasive than active listings alone: did they close after price cuts, and how long were they actually exposed to buyers?
 
How many villas are in the group, and are relisted properties counted from the original listing date or the latest one? Without that, 67 days is hard to interpret. A withdrawn home returning at a new price can make the visible marketing period look shorter than the seller’s real time on market.
 
Vacancy may be standing in for seller motivation rather than property quality. Some vacant sellers need a quick result; others can leave the home untouched and wait. I’d separate vacant listings into those cutting price and those staying fixed before concluding that vacancy itself explains the pattern.
 
That is fair, but I wouldn’t reduce vacancy entirely to motivation. An empty villa can also present differently, particularly if its condition is easier to notice without furniture. The useful comparison is vacant versus occupied homes of similar condition within the same neighbourhood, not across the whole C$491,400–C$737,100 band.
 
The number of fresh alternatives is the part I would not set aside. Even if vacancy and condition explain some individual cases, a sudden increase in close substitutes can change a buyer’s willingness to compromise.

I would compare the 67-day group with the number of similar villas launched during the same period. If choice expanded while viewings or sales stalled, softer demand becomes more plausible; if supply stayed limited, the delay is more likely tied to particular properties.
 
I’d be cautious there. More listings do not automatically mean weaker demand; they can simply expose overpriced stock that previously had little competition. I’d line up each listing by launch date, first price reduction, withdrawal date and sale date. A cluster of earlier price cuts would tell us more than the overall average.
 
Buyer financing could create another split. Homes near opposite ends of this price range may attract buyers with different constraints, so one combined 67-day number may hide two patterns. Breaking the range into smaller bands could show whether the delay is broad or concentrated.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries are probably the first thing I’d tighten. “Toronto villas” can still combine properties that buyers do not see as substitutes. Keep the same boundary and property definition for active, withdrawn and completed listings; otherwise a change in the mix can masquerade as a change in the market.
 
There is also a timing problem with using February alone. A property reaching 67 days during that month may have been launched under different conditions. I’d follow the same group forward rather than making a call now: note which sell, which cut, which disappear, and which remain available.
 
My test would be simple: if reasonably comparable, well-presented villas are also lingering and then selling only after reductions, that supports an early segment shift. If the delay sits mostly in vacant homes needing work, awkwardly defined neighbourhoods or inflexible asking prices, it is property-level variation.
 
One more caution: completed sales are necessary, but they arrive later than listing behaviour. I’d keep both views. Track the active group weekly, preserve original listing dates through withdrawals and relistings, and then compare the eventual sale outcomes. That should prevent either the 67-day headline or a handful of closings from carrying too much weight.
 
Back
Top