Using Funda from Madrid for a New York townhouse search

nia_sage

Property manager
Established
I’m searching remotely from Madrid, Spain, for a townhouse around New York and have been using Funda to identify possibilities. Its accessibility and general search coverage have been useful, but duplicate listings, stale status information and inconsistent floor-area figures make comparisons harder than expected.

The main gap for me is knowing how fresh a listing is and what should happen after contacting the advertiser. I’m also curious whether others find the mobile filters, map pins, saved-search alerts, price history or links to sold records dependable enough for narrowing a shortlist.
 
For a remote search, I would treat the portal as a discovery tool rather than confirmation that a property is still available. Keep one row per address in your own shortlist, note every listing reference attached to it, and ask the advertiser to confirm availability, floor-area definition and exact location. That turns duplicates into something manageable instead of letting them distort the comparison.
 
Which floor-area number is causing the problem: total built area, internal usable area, or simply different figures for the same townhouse? That distinction matters more than a small map-pin error. I’d also want to know whether the duplicate entries have different prices or dates, because that might reveal separate advertisers rather than a technical duplicate.
 
I disagree slightly that duplicates are the main issue. They are annoying, but visible. A single polished listing with an old status or an undefined area figure can be more misleading because there is no obvious warning.

On mobile, I’d keep the initial filters broad and do the detailed comparison elsewhere. Too many filters can hide relevant listings when fields have been completed inconsistently.
 
That is fair. The floor-area problem is chiefly different figures appearing for what seems to be the same townhouse, without enough clarity to compare like with like. My concern about duplicates is therefore really a data-confidence problem, not just seeing the same photos twice.

I’ll separate discovery from verification and record the address, advertised area, date seen and contact outcome. Since I’m doing this from Madrid, reliable freshness matters more to me than having a very large result count.
 
Add the map pin and asking price to that record too. If two entries share photos but differ on location, area or price, don’t merge them automatically; send the advertiser one short message listing the conflicting fields. Also take saved-search alerts as prompts to inspect a listing, not proof that it is newly available. The alert date and listing date may answer different questions.
 
The missing bridge is what happens after contact. Before spending time on price history or sold-record links, ask for three plain confirmations: still available, exact address or location, and the meaning of the floor-area figure. If the reply does not resolve those, the listing should remain unverified regardless of how complete the portal page looks. Any transaction steps after that will depend on the relevant jurisdiction and the parties involved.
 
Back
Top