Using Zillow from Singapore for a Calgary home search

I’m based in Singapore and have been using Zillow while searching for a detached home around Calgary. The coverage is useful, but duplicate listings, stale status and inconsistent floor-area figures make comparisons harder than expected.

Sold-price history is the feature I value most. The biggest gaps are knowing how fresh a listing is and what happens after contacting an advertiser. How have others found the mobile filters, alerts and follow-up process?
 
Those gaps would make me treat it as a discovery tool rather than the final record. Sold prices are helpful only if you can confidently match the history to the same property and understand which floor-area field is being shown. Do the duplicates share identical photos and addresses, or are nearby map pins making separate homes look duplicated?
 
I’d be cautious about putting too much weight on the sold history without a clear link to the underlying sold record. A renovation, subdivision or slightly different address format can make a comparison misleading. From overseas, I’d keep a short list with the listing date, stated area, status and advertiser response date recorded separately.
 
Agreed on keeping an external shortlist, though I wouldn’t dismiss the portal’s comparison value entirely. Saved-search alerts can expose status or price changes even when the main listing page is unclear. I’d also compare alerts against the live results: if removed or changed homes keep reappearing, that tells you how much manual verification is needed.
 
Mobile map accuracy may be the deciding factor here. Before contacting anyone, zoom in and compare the pin with the written address and nearby streets; a misplaced pin can distort both location and apparent duplicates. I’d also test whether mobile filters preserve detached-home and floor-area choices after reopening the app. If they reset, save fewer, tighter searches rather than one broad Calgary search.
 
Back
Top