Utrecht first-time buyer: is €12,880 enough cash after closing?

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
I’d rather ask now than guess later. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have roughly €12,880 left if I buy the 5-bed duplex I’m considering in Utrecht for around €887,800.

The inspection may identify ordinary first-year work, but I’m unsure how to divide the remaining cash between an emergency fund, moving costs, immediate repairs and furniture. I also need to allow for service charges, any insurance excess and the timing of the first mortgage payment.

Would you treat €12,880 as too narrow at this price, even if the inspection is fairly clean? I’d rather buy below my maximum than have every minor problem become an emergency. Yesterday I was excited; today every compromise feels enormous.
 
I would keep the emergency portion separate and consider it unavailable for furniture or cosmetic work. Pay for the move, make the property safe and functional, then furnish rooms gradually. A 5-bed place can absorb a lot of money if you try to finish everything immediately.

€12,880 sounds tight to me unless your monthly income can rebuild it quickly and the inspection finds very little.
 
Does that €12,880 remain after every payment due around completion, including the first mortgage payment and the first service-charge bill? Also, do you know the insurance excess rather than just the premium?

I’d ask the inspector to separate findings into urgent, likely within a year and cosmetic. A single total repair estimate is less useful when deciding what cash must remain untouched.
 
I wouldn’t decide from the purchase price-to-buffer comparison alone. The same €12,880 could be workable for a well-maintained duplex with strong monthly surplus, or risky where income is already stretched. The condition and your ability to replenish savings matter more than the number of bedrooms.

That said, check what the service charges cover and whether any larger shared work is being discussed. A clean inspection inside the home does not necessarily answer that.
 
Good point. I’d actually run two budgets: one for the completion month, when moving and payment dates can overlap, and another for the first twelve months. Put only genuinely necessary inspection items into the second one.

Then remove furniture entirely except for essentials. If the deal only feels comfortable when every room is furnished cheaply and no repair arrives, it probably isn’t comfortable.
 
Before deciding, get firm moving and insurance figures, confirm the mortgage payment date and service charges, and wait for the inspection. Then set a cash floor you will not cross under any circumstances.

If the expected first-year costs take you below that floor, offer less or choose a cheaper property. The anxiety may be telling you that the current plan has no room for ordinary surprises, not that buying itself is wrong.
 
Back
Top