Valuation check: 1,130 sq ft detached home in Boston, asking $1,295,000 - am I overthinking this?

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
The light and location are appealing, but one completed sale is a thin basis for valuing this place. It is a 3-bed detached home in Boston, about 1,130 sq ft, in average condition and listed at $1,295,000.

I have also found three active listings, though I do not want seller expectations to drive the calculation. The finishes look dated, and I am more concerned about any underlying maintenance than the cosmetic work. Would you compare the sold property room by room, use a broad floor-area adjustment, or estimate the condition difference through likely repair costs?

The facts I still need include the exact block, parking and usable outdoor space. I also want to confirm the ownership terms and whether any unusual lease length or shared charges apply, even if those are unlikely for this house. Which of those checks could move the value most? I will get a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
Give the completed sale much more weight than the three listings; asking prices only show seller expectations. I wouldn’t apply one flat price-per-square-foot adjustment, because the value of extra area depends on layout and usefulness. Start with the sold property, compare room by room, then estimate condition costs from an inspection and actual contractor pricing. Exact block and parking arrangement would be my biggest missing facts.
 
I’d put outdoor space alongside parking, and possibly ahead of it depending on the immediate location. Also, don’t treat “dated” and “maintenance” as one condition grade: cosmetic finishes are optional, while roof, structure or systems can affect both cost and willingness to proceed.

Ask for the completed comparable’s sale date, precise location, size basis and condition. Then verify whether this detached home has any unusual tenure or recurring shared charges; lease length and service charges may simply be irrelevant here. With only one sale, I’d use a valuation band rather than force a single number.
 
Back
Top