Valuation check: 1,130 sq ft villa in Manchester, asking £955,500

GreenPost

Property manager
Established
Verified Pro
I can either anchor heavily to the only completed sale or use three current listings to widen the comparison, and neither option feels reliable on its own. I am looking at a two-bedroom Manchester villa of about 1,130 sq ft, in average condition, with an asking price of £955,500.

The light and location appeal to me, while the finishes are dated and local supply costs may affect the work required. Before adjusting for size, I suspect I need a clearer condition grade and like-for-like details on private outdoor space, parking, tenure and any service charges. Which of those omissions is most likely to explain a large price difference? I will still seek a local appraisal, but I would like to make better use of the limited evidence first.
 
The asking price is roughly £846 per sq ft, but I wouldn’t apply a blanket floor-area percentage from just four comparables. Use the completed sale as the main anchor, then compare layout and usable space—not merely total area. Treat the three asking prices as context rather than achieved values. My biggest missing fact is the exact micro-location, because even nearby properties may not be genuinely comparable.
 
I’d put tenure ahead of micro-location until it’s confirmed. Is it freehold or leasehold? If leasehold, the remaining lease length and service charges could materially affect how buyers view £955,500. Parking rights and private outdoor space also need to be matched across the comparables; otherwise the apparent floor-area adjustment may actually be pricing those features.
 
Tenure is essential, but I’m not convinced it comes ahead of location in this exercise. A long lease with manageable charges might still leave the immediate street or development as the main price driver.

For condition, I’d avoid an arbitrary discount for “dated.” Grade kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and major visible works separately, then estimate the modernization burden. Also check whether the sold comparable’s 1,130-ish square footage, if similar, is measured on the same basis and arranged as efficiently.
 
Choosing between tenure and micro-location as the first filter is awkward because either can distort the comparison. I would use a narrow compromise: put the four properties into one table and refuse to calculate an adjustment until the main differences are visible.

For each one, record whether the price was achieved or merely advertised, the date, measured floor area, exact location, tenure, service charges, parking, outdoor space and separate condition grades for kitchens, bathrooms and major works. Unknown entries should stay blank. The agent can then be asked about those specific gaps and whether the completed sale had an exceptional feature. If the blanks remain material, reflect that uncertainty in the bid instead of manufacturing a precise value from one transaction.
 
Back
Top