Valuation check: 1,240 sq ft new-build flat in Atlanta, asking $385,000 after 89 days

SlowYard

Landlord
Established
The 89 days on the market is what makes me question the $385,000 price. This is a two-bedroom Atlanta flat of roughly 1,240 sq ft, described as a new build but only average in condition. The light and location appeal to me, while some finishes already look dated and future maintenance costs are unclear.

There are three active listings to compare with, yet only one achieved sale. I am inclined to use that sale as the starting point and treat the listings as competition, but differences in size, condition and floor or outlook could distort the result. Which would change the value most: the exact micro-location, ownership terms, recurring building charges, parking, or a balcony or terrace?

The calculation looks manageable until service charges and a difficult maintenance year are included. I will still arrange a local appraisal, but first I want the management-cost history and details of any planned major work.
 
I would make the completed sale the anchor and use the three listings mainly to understand the competition. The asking price is about $310 per sq ft, but I wouldn’t apply a single price-per-foot figure mechanically. Extra floor area often has a lower marginal value than the core living space.

For condition, estimate the work required and then allow for the inconvenience and uncertainty, rather than choosing an arbitrary percentage. The missing figure I’d want first is the recurring building charge, plus any known major maintenance exposure.
 
What does “dated finishes” mean in a new-build—basic builder finishes, physical wear, or an older renovation inside a newer building? Those lead to different adjustments.

Also, does the unit have dedicated parking, a balcony or terrace, and a comparable floor/view to the completed sale? In Atlanta, those differences and the precise micro-location could matter more than a modest gap in square footage.
 
I partly disagree with using estimated renovation cost as the main condition adjustment. Buyers can discount an unfashionable unit by more than the cost of replacing finishes, particularly after 89 days on the market. Conversely, if the finishes are merely plain, the discount may be small.

The completed sale is useful only if it is genuinely close in building, sale date, floor, light and parking. Otherwise it can create false precision. I’d also want to know whether there is any unusual ownership or ground-lease arrangement rather than assuming standard condo ownership.
 
A practical approach is to build three versions around the closed comparable: conservative, base and optimistic. Keep separate dollar lines for floor area, condition, parking, outdoor space, floor/view and recurring charges. That makes it obvious which assumptions are driving the answer.

For the area adjustment, look for paired evidence among the available units instead of multiplying every extra square foot by the headline rate. Treat the active listings as upper-bound evidence unless they later close near their asking prices.
 
The comments have exposed the gaps in my first pass. I don’t yet have enough detail on the building charges, future maintenance, parking rights, outdoor space or any unusual ownership terms. I’ll get those before tightening the range.

I’ll also separate “dated” into actual work needed versus finishes that are simply less appealing, and compare the completed sale’s floor, light and exact location. For now I’m dropping the idea of one blanket percentage adjustment.
 
That is the sensible order. I’d add the 89-day history to the negotiation analysis, but not automatically subtract for it in the valuation; time on market can reflect price, presentation, access or seller motivation.

Once the building costs and maintenance position are known, stress-test the holding case with a higher-cost year rather than averaging everything smoothly. If that materially changes the decision, those management figures may be more important than debating a narrow floor-area adjustment.
 
Back
Top