Valuation check: 1,830 sq ft new-build flat in Boston, asking $960,000

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
If I misread the few available comparables, the $960,000 ask could look justified simply because three current sellers want similar prices. The property is a roughly 1,830 sq ft, 2-bed new-build flat in Boston. It has good light and a strong location, but the finishes look dated for something marketed as new construction, and there may be costs connected with rental restrictions.

Only one of my four comparables is a completed transaction. I am inclined to anchor on that sale and use the active listings only as evidence of seller expectations. A smaller flat can achieve a higher price per square foot, for example, so applying its rate directly to 1,830 sq ft could overstate value.

The next step is to confirm usable floor area, exact micro-location, parking rights, outdoor space, recurring building charges and any lease term before adjusting for condition. Which of those would most affect your comparison? I will obtain a local appraisal before treating the estimate as reliable.
 
I wouldn’t choose a condition or square-foot adjustment range yet. Start with the completed sale, then establish whether its layout and usable space are genuinely comparable; larger flats do not necessarily command the same price per square foot as smaller ones. Treat the three asking prices as evidence of seller expectations, not achieved value.

The biggest missing fact for me is the exact micro-location, followed closely by recurring building charges.
 
I’d put parking ahead of service charges in parts of Boston, although that depends heavily on the address. Is parking included in the $960,000, separately deeded, or absent? Also, “new-build” and “dated finishes” need clarifying. If it is merely newer construction with worn or unfashionable interiors, compare it by actual condition rather than its marketing category.
 
One completed sale is too thin to support a precise adjustment, especially if it differs in floor, light, outdoor space, parking, or building costs. I’d make a simple comparison table for all four properties, but give the closed sale the most weight. Add sale date, exact location, usable floor area, condition, parking, outdoor space, and recurring charges. Then ask the local appraiser to explain any floor-area adjustment rather than applying a generic percentage.
 
Back
Top