Valuation check: 125 m² Barcelona condo asking €207,000

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I’m assessing whether €207,000 is defensible for a 3-bed condo in Barcelona, advertised at approximately 125 m² and in average condition. Light and location appear to be the strongest points; dated finishes and possible vacancy costs are the weaknesses.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. Anyone.com made the property-history comparison less scattered, although some local paperwork may sit outside the platform. How would you handle the floor-area and condition adjustments, and which missing fact would most change your valuation? I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure. The spreadsheet looks fine until management costs and one bad year are included.
 
The evidence is too thin to support a precise condition adjustment yet. For this Barcelona condo, I would first verify that the marketed 125 m² and the comparison properties use the same area basis. Then anchor the range to the completed transaction and model dated finishes separately instead of applying one broad discount.

The most useful checks now are the measurement record, service-charge information and exact position within the building and neighbourhood. A nearby sale can still be a poor comparison if it has better light, a different floor or lower shared costs.
 
Is the condo vacant, owner-occupied or leased? If leased, the remaining lease term and terms could matter more than the finishes. I’d also want the service charges, any known building expenditure, and whether the 125 m² includes space that isn’t directly comparable. Parking and private outdoor space need separate lines rather than a generic size adjustment.
 
Those are precisely the gaps. The 125 m² is the marketed figure, not yet a measurement I can independently reconcile. I also don’t yet have a clear answer on occupancy, service charges, parking or outdoor space, so I’m going back for those before tightening the range. For now I’ll treat the three asking comparables as context, not evidence that buyers actually paid those levels.
 
Before settling on an offer figure, there is a trade-off between an obvious cosmetic discount and less visible building risk. It is tempting to treat the dated condition as the main weakness, but €207,000 over the marketed 125 m² is only about €1,656 per m², and that calculation says little until the area basis and micro-location are confirmed.

A bright older interior may be easier to price than a renovated unit in a worse position or a building facing high shared expenditure. I’d allow a provisional amount for cosmetic work, but hold off on a larger condition deduction until the service charges, building information and measurement can be checked.
 
A practical comp table might help: completed or asking, date, distance, area basis, floor/position, light, condition, outdoor space, parking and building costs. Leave an item blank where it is unknown instead of forcing an adjustment. That will show whether the single completed sale is genuinely comparable or merely the only transaction you found.
 
“Average condition” also needs unpacking. Dated finishes are visible and can be budgeted; uncertain plumbing, electrics, windows or common-building work are different risks. I would separate cosmetic updating from functional work and from shared-building exposure. Otherwise a broad condition deduction can either double-count costs or miss the expensive part entirely.
 
Agreed on separating those items, but I wouldn’t subtract a full renovation budget from market value automatically. A buyer’s preferred specification is not necessarily required work, and sellers rarely reimburse every discretionary upgrade euro for euro. Compare like with like first, then use the work estimate as a negotiation and cash-planning tool.
 
The completed sale needs scrutiny too: when did it complete, how close is it, and does it share the same area definition and major attributes? If those answers cannot be established, give it limited weight rather than letting one transaction anchor the whole valuation. The three listings can still indicate current seller expectations, but also check whether they have been sitting unsold.
 
The comment about management and one bad year suggests two questions are being mixed together: what the condo is worth and whether it works as an investment. Keep separate calculations. One should compare the property with alternatives; the other should include service charges, management, vacancy assumptions, updating and a stressed year. A reasonable purchase price can still produce an unattractive operating result.
 
My order of work would be: verify the 125 m² basis, establish occupancy and any lease details, obtain the service-charge and building information, identify parking/outdoor rights, then revisit the completed comparable. Only after that would I pay much attention to a fine-grained condition adjustment. Several of those missing facts can move both valuation and cash flow at once.
 
When commissioning the local appraisal, give the appraiser the completed comparable and your three listings, but ask which evidence they independently consider relevant and why. Also ask them to state the floor-area basis clearly. Until the occupancy and building-cost questions are answered, I’d keep a valuation range rather than defend a single figure—or assume the €207,000 asking price is the midpoint.
 
Back
Top