Valuation check: 125 m² coastal home in Vienna asking €616,400

sol_keys

Landlord
Getting the micro-location or building costs wrong could distort this valuation far more than a small price-per-metre adjustment. I am reviewing a 3-bed coastal home in Vienna with about 125 m² of space and an asking price of €616,400. It has good light and an appealing position, but the finishes are dated and there may be future reserve costs.

My evidence so far consists of three current listings and one sale that actually completed. I am unsure how much weight to give differences in floor area, condition and parking, particularly if the comparables are not in precisely the same location. The broker’s yield excludes some costs paid by the owner, so that figure is not guiding my decision. Which missing detail would you establish first before making adjustments? I will still obtain a local appraisal before proceeding.
 
I wouldn’t apply one standard percentage for either condition or size. Start with the completed sale, then see whether the three listings support its direction rather than treating their asking prices as achieved values. For condition, estimate the actual work needed and allow for uncertainty. For floor area, compare total value as well as price per square metre; larger homes do not always scale proportionally.
 
Before adjusting anything, is this freehold or leasehold, and if there is a lease, how long remains? I’d also want the current service charges, any planned reserve contributions, and confirmation of what the owner pays. Parking and private outdoor space could make two otherwise similar 125 m² homes poor comparables.
 
That helps. I was leaning too heavily on €/m² and not enough on the total-value difference. I don’t yet have clear answers on lease length, service charges, reserve plans, parking, or whether the outdoor space is private, so I’ll request all of those before tightening the range. I’ll also separate refurbishment costs from the less measurable inconvenience and risk.
 
I disagree slightly that tenure is automatically the biggest unknown here. The description “coastal home” alongside Vienna needs clarification first, because an unusual label may be hiding a very specific micro-location or property format. Even within the stated location, street position, outlook, noise and light can outweigh a neat condition adjustment. Confirm exactly what is being valued before refining the maths.
 
Build three cases rather than forcing a single figure: as-is, after essential works, and after a fuller update. Use the completed sale as the main anchor, record why each asking comparable deserves a discount or premium, and keep parking and outdoor space as separate line items where possible. Then deduct service charges, reserve exposure and other owner costs from the broker’s yield calculation. If the result changes sharply when one assumption moves, that is the fact to investigate first.
 
Back
Top