Valuation check: 150 m² Cape Town apartment at ZAR 5,460,000

mapTheRoof

Real estate agent
If I value every part of the floor area at the same rate, I could seriously overpay for this Cape Town apartment. It is a two-bedroom unit of about 150 m² in average condition, with an asking price of ZAR 5,460,000. The light and position appeal to me, while the dated interior and possible service charges add risk.

The price is roughly ZAR 36,400 per square metre. I have three listing comparables but only one completed transaction, and I do not yet know whether their stated areas include balconies or other lower-value space on the same basis.

Before adjusting for condition, which fact would you establish first: exact micro-location, the internal and outdoor area split, parking, tenure, or recurring charges? I will still obtain a local appraisal, but I want the comparison sheet to reflect how the space is used rather than hiding everything inside one rate per square metre.
 
I wouldn’t choose a condition percentage before establishing whether the 150 m² is measured on the same basis as the comparables. Enclosed internal area, balconies and other space do not necessarily carry equal value.

The completed sale deserves more weight than the listings, but only if its micro-location and building quality are genuinely comparable. My biggest missing facts would be the exact area breakdown, parking and recurring service charges.
 
That is the weakness in my current sheet: it normalises everything to price per square metre without distinguishing how the area is used. I also don’t yet have a clean like-for-like account of parking or outdoor space across all four properties.

Would you first remove the poor comparables entirely, or keep them with fairly broad adjustments until the area breakdown and service charges are confirmed?
 
Keep them visible, but don’t let broad adjustments create false precision. I’d grade condition in words first: immediately habitable, dated but functional, or requiring substantial work. Then list the actual differences behind that grade—kitchen, bathrooms, flooring and building maintenance—rather than applying one automatic discount.

A beautifully renovated asking comparable may tell you more about the upper end than about this apartment’s present value.
 
I disagree slightly about prioritising condition. At 150 m² for only two bedrooms, layout efficiency could matter more than dated finishes. A buyer can understand an old kitchen; unusable circulation space or an awkward room arrangement is harder to fix.

I’d compare the subject with the completed sale room by room, then consider floor area. A straight per-m² adjustment assumes the marginal space is as valuable as the core living space.
 
Micro-location can also overwhelm a neat area calculation in Cape Town. “Same area” is not enough if the outlook, noise, access or immediate surroundings differ. Since light is one of the stated strengths, establish whether the sold comparable offers similar light and orientation before using it as the anchor.

Parking and private outdoor space should be separated rather than buried inside a general location adjustment.
 
Why is lease length on the list? First confirm the form of tenure and what documents govern the apartment; don’t import a leasehold-style adjustment unless it is actually relevant here. The local appraiser or conveyancing professional can clarify that point.

For the recurring costs, obtain the current charge and enough building information to judge whether it looks stable. A low current figure is not automatically reassuring if major work is looming.
 
I’d turn this into three scenarios rather than force one valuation: dated as-is, sensibly updated, and a downside case with higher ongoing charges or building work. Then test each against the completed sale and use the asking comparables only as supporting evidence.

Before refining the numbers, request the measured-area breakdown, parking rights, outdoor-space details, service-charge history and information on planned expenditure. Those answers may narrow the comparable set for you.
 
That scenario approach also addresses the “one bad year” issue. Just avoid deducting both a general condition allowance and every individual defect, because that double-counts the same weakness.

My order would be: verify area and tenure, establish exact micro-location and layout comparability, separate parking/outdoor value, inspect recurring building costs, then adjust condition. If the sole completed sale fails the first two tests, the honest result may be a wider valuation range rather than a precise number.
 
Back
Top