Valuation check: 155 m² new-build flat in Singapore, asking S$1,487,000

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
A 155 m² one-bedroom is what made me pause. This Singapore new-build flat is listed at S$1,487,000, with appealing light and location but finishes that already look dated. I have three current listings to compare with it and only one completed sale.

Before using any price-per-square-metre figure, I need to confirm whether the full 155 m² is internal. A large balcony, terrace or other included area would change the calculation considerably.

I also need to establish whether the completed sale was in the same development and whether its tenure, precise position and parking were equivalent. Which record or fact would you verify first? For the condition difference, I am inclined to cost identifiable replacements rather than deducting a standard percentage.
 
What stands out is that the achieved sale may be less useful than it first appears. If it is in another development, has a different tenure or includes parking, its completed price could mislead more than the three current listings.

I would record that sale separately and use the listings as a rough bracket, not average all four. Then compare floor, view, precise location and the internal-area basis. For the dated finishes, attach adjustments only to work that can actually be identified—for example, replacing specified fittings—rather than starting with an arbitrary percentage.
 
The 155 m² attached to a 1-bed is the detail I would investigate first. Is that all internal floor area, or does it include a large balcony, terrace or other space? Applying one price per square metre across different types of area could seriously distort the result.
 
One more ambiguity: how can it be both new-build and have dated finishes? If “new-build” means recently completed but the specification already looks dated, that is different from an older unit being marketed as new to the buyer. I would clarify exactly what needs replacing before assigning a condition grade.
 
The asking figure works out at roughly S$9,594 per m², but that calculation is only a starting point. I’d make a simple grid for each comparable: tenure, exact micro-location, floor/view and light, internal versus outdoor area, condition, parking and service charges. Then adjust only where there is a clear difference. Don’t add a separate light or location premium if the comparable already shares those qualities.
 
I disagree slightly with treating all those items as equivalent adjustments. Lease length could alter the basic comparability, while service charges are more naturally considered as an ownership-cost issue rather than automatically deducted dollar for dollar from value. Parking also matters only once you know whether it is actually included with this flat. The condition deduction should be tied to identifiable work, not just the word “dated.”
 
The practical limit is the lack of achieved-price evidence, so averaging all four properties would create false precision. Put the sold unit in its own row and place each asking comparison above or below it only where there is a clear reason, such as tenure, micro-location, floor, parking or condition.

I would also calculate the area rate two ways: first from the advertised 155 m² and then from verified internal space. That second figure may materially change the apparent value if a large terrace or balcony is included. Finishes can be costed later; tenure and the true area basis are much harder to correct once the purchase is complete.
 
Before settling on a range, confirm the tenure or remaining lease, the area breakdown, exact service charges, whether parking is included, and the amount of private outdoor space. I’d also ask the local appraiser to explain how the single completed sale differs from this unit rather than merely provide a headline number. Until those facts are known, a broad scenario range is more defensible than a precise valuation.
 
Back
Top