Valuation check: 160 m² detached home in Vienna at €478,400

kit_escrow

Landlord
Established
Broad Vienna averages are useful as a reference, although I am not comfortable applying them directly to this property. It is a detached four-bedroom home of about 160 m², offered at €478,400 and described as average condition. The rooms appear bright and the setting suits me, but the finishes will need updating and the mention of lease length could imply obligations that are not yet clear.

I have located three active listings and one recorded transaction. My hesitation with a simple square-metre comparison is that equal floor areas can conceal very different layouts, plots and amounts of usable living space. Condition labels may also be inconsistent between agents.

Before giving those comparables much weight, I plan to verify the plot and usable outdoor area, parking, service charges and the exact tenure terms. Which would you treat as the first filter? Once those documents are available, I can take a cleaner comparison set into a formal local valuation.
 
The completed sale should carry more weight than the three listings, assuming it is genuinely comparable and reasonably recent. Asking prices only show seller expectations.

The ask works out at €2,990/m², but I would not apply one flat price-per-metre figure. Start with the completed property, then account separately for condition, micro-location and any material tenure difference. My biggest missing fact is what “lease length” means here and what payment obligations come with it.
 
Also, how similar are the plot, outdoor space and parking arrangements? For detached homes, two buildings with the same internal area can still be poor comparables if one has substantially more usable land or better parking. I would want those details before choosing any floor-area adjustment.
 
I partly disagree with making the completed sale the automatic anchor. One transaction can be distorted by its condition, timing or circumstances, while three current listings may still show the competing choices available to a buyer.

I would grade all four properties feature by feature rather than force a percentage adjustment immediately. For the dated finishes, estimate the work required and avoid deducting both that cost and a second broad “average condition” discount.
 
That helps. I was treating floor area as the main adjustment and can see that I may be giving it too much weight. I do not yet have enough detail on the lease obligations, service charges, parking or the relative outdoor space, so I will get those before tightening the range. I will also check whether the completed sale matches the same micro-location rather than just using “Vienna” as the location.
 
A simple comparison sheet should make the gaps obvious: sale or asking price, date, internal area, plot/outdoor space, parking, condition, exact micro-location, lease terms and recurring charges. Keep the adjustments in euros where possible. Renovation and identifiable lease costs are easier to defend that way than an unexplained percentage.

Then calculate a low and high case instead of pretending the evidence supports one precise value.
 
One final caution: do not bury service charges or lease-related payments inside the condition adjustment. Condition is mostly a one-off cost; recurring obligations affect the property differently and could outweigh modest differences in floor area. If those terms remain unclear, the sensible outcome is a wider valuation range until the local appraisal and documents clarify them.
 
Back
Top