Valuation check: 165 m² villa in Singapore asking S$1,327,000

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Getting the tenure or usable-area assumption wrong could make this Singapore valuation misleading by a large amount. The property is a two-bedroom villa of roughly 165 m², in average condition, with an asking price of S$1,327,000.

I have three current listings to compare with it, but just one sale. That sale may look close on paper while having a different remaining lease, better parking or more genuinely enclosed space. The villa has good light and a strong location, although the finishes are dated.

Before assigning a rate to the extra floor area, I need to establish whether the 165 m² includes terraces or other outdoor space. Which detail would change your view first: lease length, the area breakdown or micro-location? I’ll use a local appraisal once those points are confirmed.
 
The remaining lease or tenure details would change my view most. With only one completed comparable, I would avoid presenting any adjustment as precise. For floor area, test the extra square metres at 50%, 75% and 100% of the comparable’s per-m² rate rather than assuming every metre has equal value. For condition, use an actual refurbishment estimate plus an allowance for disruption, not a generic percentage.
 
What does the 165 m² include: enclosed internal space, parking, terraces or other outdoor areas? That distinction could make the floor-area comparison unreliable. I’d also want to know whether the completed sale has similar lease length, micro-location and parking. Are service charges available for both properties?
 
I’m not convinced a per-m² adjustment should lead the analysis here. Two villas can have the same stated area but very different layouts, outdoor space and usable rooms. A well-planned 2-bed may compete differently from a larger but awkward one. I’d anchor to the completed sale only if tenure and micro-location are genuinely close, then use the three listings merely to test the resulting range.
 
A practical approach is a small comparison table: sold or asking status, date, tenure or remaining lease, internal area, outdoor space, parking, service charges, condition and exact micro-location. Mark unknowns rather than filling them with assumptions. Then calculate three scenarios for the subject: dated finishes only, moderate updating, and more extensive work. That will show whether the S$1,327,000 price survives reasonable changes without pretending the evidence supports one exact number.
 
Also separate value issues from cash-flow issues. Service charges may not alter the headline comparison in the same way as lease length, but they still affect what the buyer can comfortably pay. My next steps would be to verify the 165 m² measurement basis, obtain the completed-sale particulars, clarify tenure, and price the visible works. Until then, I’d treat any narrow valuation range as false precision.
 
Back
Top