Valuation check: 170 m² townhouse in Berlin, asking €423,200 (3 bed)

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
I have found three current listings and one completed transaction, but the evidence still feels too thin for a confident figure. The property is a three-bedroom Berlin townhouse of roughly 170 m², offered at €423,200. Its light and location appeal to me; the dated interior, insurance, maintenance and possible vacancy costs do not.

I do not want to value every extra square metre at the same rate as the core living space. I am also unsure how much to allow for parking, or how heavily any lease length should affect the comparison. Which fact or document would you verify first before adjusting the sold property? I will still commission a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
I’d anchor to the completed sale and use the three listings only to understand the current competition. For condition, separate cosmetic updating from necessary building work and price the latter item by item. For size, don’t multiply every extra square metre by the comparable’s average rate; additional area often has a different marginal value. The asking price here is roughly €2,489 per m² before adjustments.
 
The missing fact for me is the precise micro-location. “Berlin” is too broad, and even nearby streets can differ in noise, outlook and access. How close is the completed comparable, and does it share the same immediate surroundings? A superficially similar sale elsewhere could be a weaker reference than a slightly different property very close by.
 
One completed sale is a thin base, especially if its completion date is not recent. I also wouldn’t call finishes “average” without splitting the condition into structure, building systems and decoration. Dated surfaces are negotiable; uncertain roof, heating or moisture work can change the valuation much more. Do you know what maintenance is actually anticipated, rather than merely possible?
 
Mateo’s distinction matters. I’d create two condition scenarios: cosmetic refurbishment only, and cosmetic work plus credible major maintenance. Avoid applying a broad condition percentage before obtaining evidence. The insurance and any service charges also need to be treated as recurring ownership costs, not automatically deducted from value as though they were a one-off repair bill.
 
Parking and outdoor space could explain a surprising amount of the gap between these properties. Were those included with the completed comparable, and does this townhouse have either? I would adjust those separately rather than burying them in a general location or condition allowance.
 
Also, what does “possible vacancy costs” mean here? Is it currently empty, occupied under a lease, or expected to become vacant? If there is a lease, its remaining length and the timing of possession could materially affect the comparison. That seems more important than arguing over a small floor-area adjustment.
 
I’m not convinced the 170 m² deserves a straightforward size premium. With only three bedrooms, the floor plan could be generous and attractive, or inefficient with circulation and unusable corners. Compare usable rooms, floor distribution and light before treating all the area equally. A floor plan is the missing item I’d want after the exact address.
 
That’s fair. I’d compare the subject and completed sale line by line: immediate street, usable layout, condition, outdoor space, parking, occupancy and recurring charges. Mark each difference as superior, similar or inferior first; only then attach money to differences supported by quotes or nearby evidence. It reduces the temptation to force everything through a single €/m² figure.
 
For practical next steps, I’d ask the agent for the floor plan, occupancy details, service-charge breakdown, insurance information and maintenance history. Then verify whether each asking comparable is still available or has changed price. None of that turns an asking price into a sale, but it may reveal which listing is genuinely competing with this townhouse.
 
The ownership structure also needs clarifying. “Townhouse” can describe the physical building without telling you what common areas or shared obligations exist. That affects how I’d read service charges and future maintenance exposure. I’d want to know exactly what is individually maintained and what, if anything, is shared before finalising the condition adjustment.
 
With the evidence available, I would present a range rather than one precise value: a favourable case for cosmetic work and straightforward possession, and a lower case allowing for documented maintenance, vacancy and recurring costs. Reconcile both to the completed sale, then use the live listings as a ceiling test rather than proof of value. The local appraisal should help resolve whichever of micro-location, condition or occupancy remains uncertain.
 
Back
Top