Valuation check: 180 m² new-build flat in Kuala Lumpur at MYR 6,698,000

knitsAndPlan

Property investor
Established
Before paying for a formal appraisal, I need to decide whether this MYR 6,698,000 asking price is credible enough to pursue. The attraction is a bright, well-located 2-bed new-build flat of about 180 m²; the difficulty is reconciling that description with dated-looking finishes and possible vacancy costs.

There are three current listings to compare, but just one known completed transaction. Rather than produce a precise adjustment from thin evidence, I’m considering a range based on a consistent area definition, an itemised allowance for the finishes and separate treatment of ownership costs. Which fact should I establish first: the exact building and micro-location, tenure, service charges, included parking, usable outdoor space or the basis of the stated 180 m²?
 
One completed transaction is a useful anchor, but it is also a fragile one. I would first check whether it is genuinely comparable on building, sale date, floor, view and area measurement.

For example, a lower-floor flat with poor light could support a lower boundary without proving that the subject flat deserves the same price per m². Use the three active listings to show what sellers currently expect, then make only adjustments you can tie to a specific difference. Cost the dated finishes separately, and confirm tenure and service charges before deciding whether the MYR 6,698,000 ask is defensible.
 
Is the 180 m² entirely internal saleable area, or does it include balcony space or another allocation? Also, is parking included in the MYR 6,698,000? Those details could distort the per-m² comparison substantially.

I’d also want the completed sale’s date, floor, view and service charges. If it is in the same development but has inferior light, it may be a useful lower reference rather than a direct match.
 
I’d hesitate to say lease length is automatically the biggest factor before knowing whether the comparables differ on tenure. The exact building and the relevance of that single completed sale may matter more.

Build a small table with area basis, achieved or asking status, floor, light/view, parking, outdoor space, condition and service charges. Adjust only where you can explain the difference. Keep possible vacancy costs as a separate ownership scenario rather than quietly folding them into the capital valuation.
 
Back
Top