Valuation check: 2,210 sq ft, 5-bed country home in Denver at $1.17m

FriendlyDoor

Property manager
Established
Verified Pro
I now have one completed sale to compare with three active listings, which has made the $1,170,000 asking price harder rather than easier to judge. The property is a five-bedroom country home in Denver of about 2,210 sq ft. It has good light and an appealing location, but the finishes are old and its overall condition needs breaking down more carefully.

Should the sold property set the broad range while the listings show current competition, or is one transaction too weak an anchor? I am particularly unsure how to value five bedrooms within that floor area, outdoor space and any near-term maintenance. I also need to confirm whether there are shared charges or services attached to the property. Which of the sale date, micro-location, lot, layout or maintenance history would most alter your view? I will still obtain a local appraisal before acting on the estimate.
 
I would prefer to start with the completed sale, but one transaction cannot carry the whole valuation if its site, layout or circumstances differ materially. The active listings are still useful for showing what alternatives a buyer has, although their asking prices are not evidence that those amounts will be achieved.

For the 2,210 sq ft, compare usable rooms rather than applying one rate to every extra foot. Five cramped bedrooms may be worth less than fewer well-proportioned rooms. I would also divide condition into cosmetic updating and work that cannot reasonably be postponed. That gives a practical compromise: use the sale for a provisional range, then adjust only for specific differences you can support.
 
How close is the completed sale in both date and micro-location? That is the missing information I’d want first. In Denver, two superficially similar homes can differ because of the immediate setting, outdoor space and parking. I’d also want lot size and evidence that all five bedrooms function comparably; otherwise the bedroom count may make the subject look stronger than it is.
 
I’d be cautious about making the closed sale the sole anchor if it has a different site or was sold under unusual circumstances. One transaction can mislead just as easily as asking prices.

A practical approach is to create low, middle and high cases: adjust first for micro-location, lot/outdoor space and parking, then floor-area utility, then condition. Ask for maintenance history and identify which dated finishes are merely cosmetic versus items needing prompt work. If those cases still cluster near $1,170,000, the asking price has support; if they spread widely, more completed comparables are needed.
 
Back
Top