Valuation check: 2,370 sq ft duplex in Boston, asking $590,000 (2 bed)

LucaPage

Property investor
One approach says the Boston location and natural light support the price; the other says rising insurance, upkeep and dated finishes leave too little margin. The property is a 2-bed duplex of about 2,370 sq ft, in average condition, listed at $590,000. There may also be costs connected with the lease term, although I need to establish exactly what that description means here.

I have located three active listings and one closed comparable. I’m inclined to give the closed transaction more weight, with separate adjustments for usable area, condition and parking rather than applying one price-per-square-foot figure throughout.

Before forming a view, I need to verify whether “duplex” means the whole two-family building or a single home over two levels, along with the ownership structure, exact micro-location and any recurring charges. Which of those facts would materially alter your estimate? I will still commission a local appraisal.
 
The asking price is roughly $249 per sq ft, but I would not apply that rate to every extra foot. Larger homes often have diminishing value per additional square foot. Start with the completed sale, then use the active listings only to understand current competition. For condition, I’d use a documented cost-to-cure range rather than an arbitrary percentage.
 
What does “duplex” mean in this listing: an entire two-family property, or one unit arranged over two floors? Also, what exactly is meant by lease length? The ownership structure, remaining lease term and any service or association charges could change the valuation more than the dated finishes.
 
I’d put micro-location ahead of raw floor area. Two Boston properties with similar size can still differ materially because of the immediate block, light, noise, access and parking. If the completed sale is not genuinely nearby and similar in those respects, it may deserve less weight than its status as the only closed transaction suggests.
 
I partly disagree about reducing the weight of the sold comparable too quickly. It is still evidence of what a buyer actually paid, while the three listings only show seller expectations. Adjust it transparently rather than replacing it with asks.

For condition, separate cosmetic work from deferred maintenance. Dated finishes are negotiable; uncertain building systems, exterior work or shared obligations need actual inspection findings and quotes.
 
The completed comparable needs more detail: sale date, square footage, bedroom count, condition, parking, outdoor space and whether it had the same ownership setup. I’d also compare usable layout, not just total area. At 2,370 sq ft with only two bedrooms, some of the floor area may not be valued by buyers as highly as bedroom or flexible office space.
 
Insurance and recurring charges should be modelled separately from the purchase-price comparison. Ask for the current insurance details, maintenance history, planned work and any service or association charges that apply. Parking and private outdoor space should also be isolated where possible rather than buried inside a single broad location adjustment.
 
I’d build a low, middle and high case from the same sold comparable: first adjust for ownership terms and micro-location, then parking/outdoor space, usable area and finally condition. Keep the three asking comparables as an upper-market sense check. Until the lease issue and recurring charges are clear, I would avoid treating $590,000 as either obviously cheap or obviously expensive.
 
Back
Top