Valuation check: 2,530 sq ft new-build flat in London, asking £241,800

reviewThePlan

Developer
I can accept the advertised figures and try to value the flat, or assume one of them is wrong and discard the comparison entirely. Neither feels comfortable without checking the source documents.

The listing describes a London 1-bed new-build flat at £241,800 with approximately 2,530 sq ft. It also mentions good light and location but dated finishes, which seems an odd combination for a new build. There may be rental-related costs if it is let.

Only one of the four properties I found is a completed sale; the others are current listings. Should I pause all condition and floor-area adjustments until the price, floor plan and measurement basis are confirmed? After that, would lease length, service charges, exact location or parking be the next fact to establish?
 
Before applying adjustments, verify both headline numbers. £241,800 divided by 2,530 sq ft is only about £96 per sq ft, which is striking enough to question whether that is the full purchase price and whether all 2,530 sq ft is internal living area. Exact micro-location would be my next major missing fact; “London” is far too broad for comparison.
 
The description also needs reconciling: a new-build with dated finishes is unusual, though not impossible. Ask for the floor plan and its measurement basis, including whether storage, terraces or other non-living areas are included. I would not give all 2,530 sq ft the same marginal value as the core space, particularly for a 1-bed layout.
 
Agreed on verifying the area, but I wouldn’t choose an arbitrary floor-area percentage. Use the completed sale as the starting anchor, compare total prices as well as price per square foot, then consider how efficiently each flat uses its space. For condition, replace labels like “average” with an itemised list of work and costed scenarios.
 
Another question for Jack: is this for occupation or letting? If letting is intended, the possible rental-related costs belong in the cash-flow analysis rather than being disguised as a condition discount. Once price and area are confirmed, I’d want the lease length, service charges and tenure details before narrowing the valuation.
 
I’d put lease length and service charges ahead of cosmetic finishes. Paint and dated fittings can be estimated; an unattractive ongoing charge or short remaining lease can affect how buyers view the whole flat. Parking and private outdoor space should also be valued separately rather than absorbed into one blended square-foot adjustment.
 
Until the price and internal area are verified, even a careful adjustment table will give a misleading sense of precision. I would first obtain the floor plan and confirm what the 2,530 sq ft includes.

Once that is settled, put the completed sale and three listings into a simple table covering exact location, verified internal space, layout, condition, lease length, service charges, parking, outdoor space and sale or listing status. Use the closed transaction as the main evidence and the active listings only as an indication of seller expectations. Cosmetic differences can be priced later; an unsuitable lease or persistent service charge is much less reversible.
 
Back
Top