Valuation check: 2,640 sq ft New York villa asking $865,000

lookTheRadar

Property investor
Established
I’m trying to value a 1-bed villa in New York, approximately 2,640 sq ft and in average condition, with an asking price of $865,000. Light and location are the main positives; dated finishes and possible lease-length costs are the concerns. That works out to roughly $328 per sq ft before adjustments.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. What condition and floor-area adjustments would you use, and which missing fact would most change your figure? Demand seems real, but insurance and maintenance could be substantial. I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any valuation.
 
I would anchor to the completed sale, not average it equally with the three listings. As a rough discussion range, perhaps test a 5–10% condition deduction, then model floor area separately rather than applying one price per square foot to all 2,640 sq ft. Large spaces often do not gain value proportionally.

The missing fact that could move my estimate most is the exact micro-location. Immediately after that: remaining lease length and recurring service charges.
 
I’m not convinced condition deserves a percentage adjustment before you know what “dated” actually means. Cosmetic finishes and deferred building work are very different costs.

Also, one bedroom across 2,640 sq ft is unusual enough that bedroom count and layout may matter more than raw floor area. Does it have dedicated parking or genuinely private outdoor space? Those could explain why otherwise similar properties are poor comparables.
 
That’s fair. I’d replace my automatic condition deduction with three scenarios: cosmetic-only, moderate updating, and significant work, using actual cost estimates where available. I’d also build a small comparison table for the four properties showing sale versus asking status, distance, floor area, layout, parking, outdoor space, lease term, service charges and condition. If the completed comparable differs materially on micro-location or tenure, it may not be a reliable anchor at all.
 
Back
Top