Valuation check: 2,690 sq ft Manchester apartment asking £1,010,000

wise_book

Property investor
Established
I’m assessing a 2-bed apartment in Manchester: approximately 2,690 sq ft, average condition, asking £1,010,000. Its best features are the light and location; the dated finishes and potentially substantial service charges are the concerns.

I have three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. Would you apply a broad condition or floor-area adjustment, or treat the unusually large area more cautiously because it is still only two bedrooms? Which missing fact would change your valuation most: precise micro-location, lease length, service charges, parking or outdoor space?

The spreadsheet looks fine until management costs and one bad year are included. I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
I would not apply a simple price-per-square-foot uplift across all 2,690 sq ft. With only two bedrooms, the layout and usefulness of that space matter enormously. Large circulation areas or rooms that cannot readily serve another purpose may not command the same marginal value.

My first missing fact is the service-charge history and what it actually covers. After that: lease length and any known major works.
 
Micro-location would change my view first. “Manchester” is too broad at this price, and even nearby buildings can differ in outlook, noise, management and buyer appeal.

Also, are your three asking comparables genuinely competing apartments, or merely similar in size? I would map the completed sale against floor level, light, parking and outdoor space before making a condition adjustment. Asking prices can show seller expectations, but not where buyers will transact.
 
I partly disagree that service charges should lead the valuation. They matter to affordability and resale, but an unusually good position, secure parking or valuable outdoor space could create a bigger difference between otherwise similar apartments.

The dated finish also needs separating into cosmetic work versus expensive building-specific issues. I would ask for the lease details, current charge breakdown and any planned expenditure, then inspect how much of the 2,690 sq ft is genuinely useful living space.
 
The one completed comparable should anchor the exercise, but it should not be forced to carry everything. Build a short adjustment table: same building or not, completion date, floor and outlook, internal condition, usable layout, parking, outdoor space, lease length and recurring charges. Mark uncertain items rather than assigning false precision.

Then test the £1,010,000 asking price under a less favourable case: no premium for surplus floor area, refurbishment required and full ongoing management costs. If the deal only works after optimistic adjustments, that tells you more than a neat central estimate.
 
One further point: compare total ownership cost, not just purchase price per square foot. Two apartments at similar prices can look very different once service charges and foreseeable works are included.

Before the appraisal, I’d send the valuer the completed comparable and ask specifically how the market treats oversized two-bedroom layouts in that micro-location. I’d also ask the agent for evidence supporting the asking price, plus confirmation of parking, outdoor space, lease length and service-charge history.
 
Back
Top