Valuation check: 220 m² villa in Singapore, asking S$268,000

QuietLoft

Real estate agent
The practical problem is the thin sales evidence: I have three active listings but just one recorded transaction to work from. The property is a 4-bed Singapore villa of about 220 m² in average condition, offered at S$268,000. It has good natural light and a useful location, while the dated interior and possible reserve contributions count against it.

My base case assumes no appreciation, but even a current-value estimate could be misleading if the area measurement or tenure differs from the sale. How would you separate size and condition from factors such as the precise location, remaining lease, service charges, parking and outdoor space? I plan to obtain a local appraisal, but I want to identify which missing detail could move the estimate most before then.
 
I would start with the completed transaction. The difficulty is that it is not a reliable anchor until its date, size and tenure are known; the active listings mainly show where the sellers hope to transact.

Calculate the sale price per square metre using genuinely comparable area, then make distinct allowances for layout and renovation needs rather than one broad percentage. My next check would be remaining lease, followed by the exact micro-location and whether parking is included.
 
Is the 220 m² figure internal floor area, land area, or a combined listing description? That could change the comparison completely. For the completed sale, I’d also want its date, remaining lease, precise proximity, parking, outdoor space and whether it had already been renovated. Without those details, a condition adjustment risks absorbing several unrelated differences.
 
I’m less comfortable making lease length the automatic first adjustment. Before ranking anything, clarify exactly what interest the S$268,000 buys and whether the villa sits in a managed development. The mention of service charges and reserve costs matters: a low headline price can look very different once recurring charges and likely works are understood.
 
Amelias also raises the key floor-area issue. Even if 220 m² is confirmed as internal space, I wouldn’t assume every extra square metre has equal value. Layout efficiency matters. Four useful bedrooms, good light and genuinely usable outdoor space may deserve more weight than nominal area in corridors or awkward rooms. Parking should remain a separate adjustment rather than being buried in the area calculation.
 
A practical method would be to build a small adjustment table starting with the completed sale: transaction date, tenure, internal and land area, condition, parking, outdoor space, recurring charges and micro-location. Mark each difference as superior, similar or inferior before attaching money to it. Then test the result against the three asking comparables, allowing for the fact that their eventual sale prices are unknown.
 
One caution on “average condition”: dated finishes are mostly visible, but reserve costs may represent a different category of risk. Ask what works are anticipated, what charges currently apply and whether any outdoor or parking areas are exclusive or shared. If those answers are unclear, I’d use a valuation range rather than force a single number from one completed comparable.
 
Back
Top