Valuation check: 245 m² duplex in Rio de Janeiro, asking R$4,984,000

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
Only one completed transaction looks even potentially comparable. That makes the valuation the practical problem before I put much weight on the asking listings.

The property is a 2-bed Rio de Janeiro duplex of about 245 m² in average condition, offered at R$4,984,000. Its light and location appeal to me, but the dated finishes need a separate works allowance. I also doubt that every additional square metre should be valued at the same rate as space in a smaller unit.

The completed sale could still mislead if it differs by street, building, parking or outdoor space. Which of those details would cause the largest adjustment in this market? On the income side, I have assumed rent for eleven months, but I still need to establish any lease terms, owner-paid service charges and a realistic updating reserve before obtaining a local appraisal.
 
I would anchor on the completed sale, but only after checking whether it is genuinely comparable in building, street and sale timing. For floor area, compare price per square metre rather than adding the extra metres at the smaller unit’s full rate; larger homes can have a lower marginal value per metre. I’d treat dated finishes through an estimated works allowance, not a broad condition percentage. Parking and exact micro-location could move my view most.
 
The income side needs more detail before judging the eleven-month assumption. Is there an existing lease, and if so, how long remains? Also, which service charges would fall on the owner rather than the tenant? A long lease at below-market rent and a vacant unit with uncertain letting costs are very different valuation cases. I’d also separate routine repairs from a reserve for updating those dated finishes.
 
I’m less comfortable making the single completed sale the automatic anchor. One transaction can be misleading if it lacks the duplex layout, light, parking or outdoor space. The asking price here is about R$20,343/m², so I’d put all four comparables into a table at unit-price level and note the differences. The asking comparables are not evidence of achieved value, but they can still show whether the seller’s position is an outlier.
 
One more practical step: ask for the building’s current service-charge amount and any known extraordinary works, then inspect how the stated 245 m² is divided between genuinely usable internal space and any terraces or other areas. That breakdown may matter more than choosing a generic floor-area adjustment. With those facts, you can produce low, central and high cases rather than forcing one precise number from thin evidence.
 
Back
Top