Valuation check: 45 m² country home in Rio de Janeiro at R$924,000

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
My preferred outcome is a defensible offer range, but the evidence is thin. The property is a 3-bed country home in Rio de Janeiro with about 45 m² of internal space, average condition and an asking price of R$924,000. The light and location appeal to me, while the dated finishes and acquisition costs do not.

There are three relevant listings and one recorded transaction. The headline figure is about R$20,500 per m², though that seems unreliable until I know whether the measurements and locations are genuinely comparable. If the completed property is a close match, would you deduct estimated renovation costs? If it is not, would you use a wider condition range instead?

I still need details on the precise location, parking, usable outdoor area, tenure and any service charges. Which of those would you investigate first? I’ll seek a local appraisal before making a decision, but I’m trying to build a sensible first model that also survives management costs and a poor year.
 
I would not apply a generic condition percentage here. Estimate the cost of the dated work, add an allowance for disruption and uncertainty, then test several scenarios rather than pretending one deduction is precise.

The completed sale deserves more weight than the listings, but only if its micro-location, sale timing, outdoor area and condition are genuinely comparable. My biggest missing fact is the exact location; short distances can separate unlike markets.
 
One addition: confirm what the 45 m² measurement actually covers. Three bedrooms within that area could mean very compact rooms, a measurement difference, or space that is being described differently across listings. A floor-area adjustment based on inconsistent measurements would magnify the error. Also, how much larger or smaller are the four comparables?
 
Adjusting only for internal area feels too blunt, but assigning a land premium without details is no better. With a country home, usable outdoor space, access and parking could account for more of the difference than a few square metres indoors.

If those features match the completed sale, the 45 m² figure can help refine the comparison. If they do not, I would keep the per-square-metre result as a rough warning sign and avoid turning it into an offer value.
 
I’d build a simple comparison table: completed versus asking, exact micro-location, internal area, bedrooms, condition, outdoor space, parking, service charges and tenure. Leave an item blank rather than guessing an adjustment.

Keep transaction fees outside the property valuation. They affect your total acquisition cost and maximum offer, but they do not make the home itself worth less. Get local figures for those costs before setting that maximum.
 
Agreed on separating value from total cost. I would also clarify whether this is outright ownership or involves any lease or occupancy term; if a lease length is relevant, the comparison set may need to change completely.

With only one completed comparable, I’d present a broad range rather than a single answer: anchor it to that sale, use the three listings only as supporting evidence, and run separate cases for dated finishes, management costs and a weak year. If the result only works in the optimistic case, that is useful information in itself.
 
Back
Top