Valuation check: 55 m² apartment in Rio asking R$5,880,000

rhea_dove

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The detail that changed my view was the layout: fitting three bedrooms into about 55 m² may matter more than a simple price-per-metre calculation.

This is an average-condition apartment in Rio de Janeiro asking R$5,880,000. The light and location are appealing, while the finishes are dated and there may be costs connected with the remaining lease or occupancy term. I currently have three active listings for comparison and just one achieved sale.

Rather than applying one broad percentage, should I price the required work separately and treat the floor plan as its own adjustment? I am also missing reliable figures for service charges and any lease-related expense, plus clarity on parking or private outdoor space in the comparables. Which of those would cause you to revise the valuation most sharply?

I will still obtain a local appraisal before using the calculation for a decision.
 
I would anchor everything to the completed sale, not the three listings. The asking price is roughly R$106,900 per m², but a straight per-m² comparison could mislead because 55 m² split into three bedrooms may trade differently from a more spacious layout.

For dated but usable finishes, I might initially test a 5–10% condition discount, then replace that assumption with an actual renovation estimate. The biggest missing fact is the precise micro-location and building.
 
Also, what exactly does “possible lease-length costs” mean here, and do you know the recurring service charges? A limited or costly occupancy arrangement could outweigh a modest condition adjustment. Parking and private outdoor space also need to be separated from the apartment price if any comparable includes them.
 
I disagree with applying a broad 5–10% condition discount this early. With only one completed comparable, that creates an appearance of precision without showing how buyers in that building price dated finishes. Compare required work item by item instead.

Floor area should not be adjusted linearly either. A well-planned 55 m² apartment can be more marketable than a slightly larger awkward one, while three genuinely usable bedrooms may carry a premium over nominal bedrooms.
 
The line about management and one bad year matters more if this is being considered for income rather than occupation. Model service charges, management, repairs and a weak occupancy year separately instead of hiding them in one yield assumption.

I would also run two values: one based on the completed comparable and another based on conservative cash flow. If they are far apart, investigate why rather than averaging them.
 
I can see the appeal of building adjustments into the spreadsheet immediately, but I would not assign values to gaps in the evidence. An unknown service charge or occupancy cost is a risk, not a zero.

I would make a short comparison sheet showing the completed-sale date, distance, building, floor, internal area, usable bedrooms, condition, light, parking, private outdoor space and recurring charges. Leave any unverified entry clearly marked.

The appraiser can then explain each difference from the completed sale, including whether the compact three-bedroom layout helps or hurts. The active listings still matter, but mainly as competing stock and evidence of seller expectations rather than achieved prices.
 
Helpful distinction. I was treating the three listings as nearly equal evidence to the completed sale, which is probably where the model became too confident. I will rebuild it around the sale, keep condition as a renovation-cost scenario rather than a fixed percentage, and leave floor-area adjustments non-linear.

The unresolved items I need before drawing a conclusion are the exact lease-length cost, service charges, parking or outdoor-space differences, and how closely the completed sale matches the micro-location and building. Until those are verified, R$5,880,000 remains an asking price rather than a supported valuation.
 
Back
Top