Valuation check: 590 sq ft condo in Toronto, asking C$1,330,000 after 97 days

GoodJournal

Developer
I’m trying to value a Toronto 2-bed condo of approximately 590 sq ft. It is in average condition with dated finishes, while the light and location are the strongest features. The asking price is C$1,330,000 and it has been on the market for 97 days.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. There may also be vacancy-related costs. What adjustment range would you use for condition and floor area, and which missing fact would most change your figure? I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any estimate.
 
The ask works out to roughly C$2,254 per sq ft, but I would not value it by applying that rate mechanically. Start with the completed sale and adjust only if it is genuinely comparable. For condition, I’d model 0%, 5% and 10% deductions as sensitivity cases, not claimed market discounts. Floor area should be normalized carefully because price per square foot is rarely linear between differently sized units.
 
The biggest missing fact for me is the identity and details of that one sold comparable: same building, same floor range, similar view and similar layout, or merely nearby? In a condo valuation, the building and micro-location can matter more than a broad Toronto comparison. I’d also want to know whether both stated areas were measured on the same basis.
 
I’d be cautious about the floor-area adjustment altogether. A 590 sq ft two-bedroom may trade according to how usable the plan is, not just its area. If the sold unit is larger, multiplying its price per square foot by 590 could overstate or understate the subject. Compare room arrangement, storage and wasted circulation before assigning a rate.
 
“Average condition” needs unpacking. Are the dated elements cosmetic, or do the kitchen, bathrooms, flooring and major in-unit systems all need work? I would grade those separately rather than choose one blanket percentage. Also confirm whether the sold comparable included parking or outdoor space. Those should be adjusted independently instead of being buried in the floor-area figure.
 
I agree that condition needs detail, but the scenario deductions are still useful for seeing whether the decision changes. A 5% assumption on C$1,330,000 is C$66,500; 10% is C$133,000. That is a wide enough spread to justify getting actual renovation estimates. What are the monthly condo fees, and what do they include?
 
The 97 days tells you the current asking price has not produced a completed deal, but it does not establish value by itself. I’d ask whether the listing price changed during that period or whether it was withdrawn and relisted. The three active listings are competition, not evidence that buyers have accepted those prices.
 
What exactly do “vacancy costs” and “lease length” mean here? Is the unit currently vacant, occupied under a tenancy, or expected to sit empty after purchase? Those are different issues. Any assumptions about possession or an existing tenancy need Toronto-specific confirmation before they are translated into a valuation adjustment.
 
A simple worksheet would help: take the completed sale, adjust for date and micro-location only where you have support, then list separate lines for floor-plan utility, condition, parking, outdoor space, light/view and condo fees. Keep every adjustment visible. That prevents a dated kitchen or missing parking from being counted twice through both a percentage deduction and a lower price-per-square-foot rate.
 
One more caution: if the sold comparable is in the same building and has similar orientation, some of the location, light and fee differences may already be reflected. Adjusting again because the subject has “good light” could double count the feature. The fewer defensible adjustments required, the more useful that completed sale is.
 
I disagree slightly with making the sold unit the anchor regardless of fit. One completed sale can create false precision if it has a conventional two-bedroom plan and this 590 sq ft unit does not. I would rather bracket value using the sale plus the active competition, while giving the completed transaction much greater weight. Exact floor plan, floor level and orientation would most change my view.
 
Parking may be the easiest missing item to isolate because it should not be blended into 590 sq ft. Same for a balcony or terrace. First establish whether each comparable includes those features, then compare the interior units. Otherwise the apparent floor-area adjustment may really be compensation for an amenity the subject lacks.
 
Given the gaps, I’d request the full particulars for the completed sale and all three active listings, including measured area, building, floor, orientation, parking, outdoor space, condo fees, condition and occupancy status. Then run the 0%, 5% and 10% condition cases without treating them as market facts. If the conclusion swings sharply, the formal appraisal and renovation estimates become decisive rather than confirmatory.
 
At this stage I would not let the C$1,330,000 ask set the valuation. The most consequential missing fact is whether the completed sale is truly comparable within the same building or immediate micro-location. After that, occupancy or lease details, condo fees, parking and outdoor space could materially alter the economics. The 97-day exposure is negotiating context, but not a substitute for sold evidence.
 
Back
Top