Valuation check: 650 sq ft country home in Manchester at £1,065,000

SlowGrove

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
Founding Member
I’m torn between anchoring almost entirely to the sole completed sale and using the three live listings to widen the range. The sale is firmer evidence, but it may mislead if its setting, tenure or condition differs materially from this property.

The subject is a 2-bed country home in Manchester, about 650 sq ft and in average condition, offered at £1,065,000. Natural light and location are the main attractions. Dated finishes and purchase costs work against it.

I’m not assuming price growth, so I want to separate market value from my total acquisition budget. Which comparison would carry more weight for you: usable floor area and condition, or exact micro-location, outdoor space and tenure? Lease length and service charges would also matter if it is leasehold. I’ll seek a local appraisal once those details are confirmed.
 
The completed sale should carry most of the weight; the three listings mainly show sellers’ expectations. The asking price here is roughly £1,638 per sq ft, so I’d first calculate the sold comparable on the same basis, then adjust for differences rather than applying a broad Manchester average.

For condition, I’d use a costed allowance for the dated work rather than an arbitrary percentage. The missing fact most likely to alter my view is the exact micro-location, closely followed by outdoor space.
 
Is it freehold or leasehold? If leasehold, the remaining lease length and service charges could materially change both affordability and how useful the comparable is. I’d also want to know whether the completed sale had equivalent parking and outdoor space. At only 650 sq ft, those features could compensate for limited internal area—or make the asking price harder to justify.
 
One more point: confirm that 650 sq ft is measured on the same basis as the comparable. Converted spaces, storage and awkward rooms can make two identical headline areas feel very different. I’d compare usable room dimensions and layout as well as the total.
 
I wouldn’t make a straight per-square-foot adjustment. Smaller homes can command more per square foot, and a usable 2-bed layout may be worth more than a larger but poorly arranged property. Start with the sold comparable’s total price, then separately assess layout, parking, outdoor space, condition and location. Otherwise you risk counting the floor-area difference twice.
 
Deducting the full refurbishment budget feels too harsh, but ignoring dated rooms because they remain usable feels equally optimistic. Buyers often price inconvenience and uncertainty differently from the contractor’s eventual bill.

I’d model a light cosmetic refresh, a normal updating programme and a third case for deferred maintenance uncovered on inspection. The last of those matters most because hidden fabric or system problems are harder to reverse than a choice of finishes. Keep stamp duty and other purchase expenses in the affordability calculation rather than subtracting them automatically from the property’s market value.
 
“Manchester” is much too broad for a high-value micro-location comparison. Check how close the completed sale is in setting, road character, access and outlook, not just postcode or distance. The description “country home” also makes plot and surroundings especially important. If the only sold comparable lacks similar outdoor space or setting, I would be cautious about deriving a precise floor-area rate from it.
 
The comments about setting and outdoor space leave another question: are tenure costs being hidden by the focus on price per square foot? A bright 650 sq ft layout may justify a premium, but service charges or a short remaining lease could change both affordability and the relevance of the completed sale.

I’d put the evidence into a simple grid covering sale date, price status, measurement basis, usable layout, tenure, lease details where applicable, recurring charges, condition, parking, plot or outdoor space, and exact setting. Unknown items should stay blank rather than receive assumed adjustments. Use the completed transaction to set a range and the listings only to test it; a precise valuation can wait until the tenure and non-internal features are verified.
 
Back
Top