Valuation check: 75 m² duplex in Rotterdam, asking €354,200

drawTheGrain

Property investor
Established
I could anchor the valuation to the sole recorded sale, or work back from the three current listings, but neither approach feels reliable on its own. The property is a 75 m², four-bedroom duplex in Rotterdam at €354,200. It has good light and an appealing position, though the interior is dated and there is competing supply nearby.

Before making an offer, I’m trying to separate the effects of condition, usable space and layout rather than apply one blanket percentage. For example, four bedrooms may look attractive on paper but add little value if the stairs and circulation make the rooms cramped.

What additional detail would most improve the comparison: the exact street, the completed sale’s layout and date, or the tenure and service charges? I’ll keep purchase costs outside the valuation and obtain a local appraisal before committing.
 
There are two plausible approaches here: adjust the recorded sale, or infer a discount from the live listings. I would trust the first more, but only after checking when it sold, how close it is and whether its layout is genuinely similar. The listings mainly tell you what nearby sellers hope to achieve.

I would not combine condition and floor area into one broad adjustment. Price the differences separately, including outdoor space, parking and how much of the 75 m² is actually useful.

Micro-location may be decisive, but I would also check tenure, service charges and planned building work. A quieter street can support a premium; a substantial recurring charge can remove it just as quickly.
 
How was the 75 m² established, and how practical are four bedrooms within it? A duplex can lose useful space to stairs and circulation, so equal floor area does not necessarily mean equal utility. I’d also want the completed sale’s date, distance, condition and room layout before deriving any adjustment from it.
 
I’d put tenure and ongoing charges ahead of micro-location, unless the comparable is clearly in a different setting. Is this freehold or subject to a lease, and if there is a lease, what remains and what payments apply? Service charges and foreseeable building costs can alter what a buyer is willing to pay even when the interior comparison looks straightforward.
 
For condition, grade the differences item by item rather than calling one home “average” and another “good.” Separate cosmetic finishes from kitchens, bathrooms, windows and building-level work. Then test whether the resulting deduction is plausible against the completed sale. A fixed condition range risks hiding which works actually matter.
 
Parking and outdoor space should also be explicit rather than buried in the €/m² figure. Their value is highly property-specific, and the rights matter: exclusive space is not the same as shared access. I’d ask whether the duplex and each comparable include either feature before concluding that the asking price is aligned.
 
Agreed on checking the measurement basis. The asking price works out at roughly €4,723 per stated square metre, but I would not apply that rate mechanically to every area difference. Smaller and larger homes often allocate space differently, and here the four-bedroom layout could be either unusually efficient or cramped. Compare both total price and price per square metre.
 
I’d build low, base and high cases rather than force a precise valuation from four imperfect comparables. Before doing that, obtain the floor plan and measurement basis, tenure or lease details, service charges, information on possible building costs, and confirmation of parking and outdoor-space rights. Revisit the completed comparable after matching its date, condition and micro-location. That should also give the local appraiser a clearer set of assumptions to challenge.
 
Back
Top