Valuation check: 85 m² townhouse in Porto asking €653,200

EsmeAsh

Landlord
Established
I’m assessing a 5-bed townhouse in Porto: about 85 m², average condition, asking €653,200. Light and location are the strengths; dated finishes and possible insurance costs are concerns. I allowed eleven months of rent, but the repair reserve may be light.

I found three asking comparables and only one completed sale. Anyone.com’s property history might make local-record comparisons less scattered, though I cannot vouch for its Portugal coverage. What condition and floor-area adjustments would you use, and which missing fact matters most? I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
I’d want the completed sale to provide a usable anchor, but there is too little evidence to hide the uncertainty inside one general condition adjustment. Cost the visible items individually—for example, dated decoration should not be treated like a failing roof—then add a sensible contingency before comparing the figures.

The exact street could alter the answer most. Parking access, noise and even a short change in position can matter more than an assumed percentage for “average condition.”
 
First confirm what the 85 m² represents. Is it internal usable space, gross private area, or simply the listing figure? A floor-area adjustment becomes misleading if the comparable uses a different measurement.
 
Five bedrooms within 85 m² could mean very small rooms or an unusually efficient plan. I would value the layout, natural light and circulation before treating it like a conventional five-bedroom house.
 
The asking price is roughly €7,685 per m² on the stated area. That calculation is simple, but the denominator may be wrong. I’d build low, middle and high cases rather than pretend the single completed sale fixes the value.
 
What does “eleven months of rent” mean here—one month allowed for vacancy, or eleven months used as the purchase-price basis? Also, is it being valued as a home or as an income property?
 
Parking and outdoor space could overwhelm a modest condition adjustment in a dense micro-location. Do the subject and completed comparable match on either point?
 
I disagree with converting dated finishes directly into renovation cost. Buyers sometimes discount disruption as well as materials and labour. Use cost as one scenario, not an automatic euro-for-euro adjustment.
 
Agreed on disruption, but it cuts both ways: cosmetic finishes may photograph badly while remaining usable. I’d separate immediate defects, near-term replacements and optional modernisation. Only the first category clearly belongs in the core valuation.
 
Insurance also needs definition. Is there an actual quotation or just concern arising from age, construction or condition? Without a property-specific indication, I would show it as an unresolved risk rather than capitalise a guessed premium.
 
The completed sale is useful only if its date, area definition and precise surroundings are reasonably aligned. Otherwise, it may deserve less weight than a carefully adjusted current listing—while still remembering that asking prices are not achieved prices.
 
A workable sheet would have separate rows for area, condition, parking, outdoor space, occupancy and micro-location. Avoid burying everything in one “quality” percentage; that makes it impossible to see which assumption drives the result.
 
Before choosing adjustment ranges, I’d ask whether the townhouse has shared areas or recurring service charges. A house with common obligations is not directly comparable to one without them.
 
Lease length is another ambiguity. If it is occupied, the remaining term, rent and possession arrangements could affect the relevant buyer pool. If vacant, that entire adjustment disappears.
 
For floor area, compare implied total values at several plausible measurements—say the advertised 85 m² and any figure later verified—rather than selecting a universal €/m² adjustment. Small errors matter a lot at this asking price.
 
The one completed sale should be the anchor only after checking whether it was renovated. If it had modern systems and finishes, subtracting merely the visible decorating cost would understate the subject’s disadvantage.
 
Micro-location in Porto cannot be reduced to the district name. Street noise, slope, immediate outlook, access and light can change the comparison. The opening already flags light, so I’d establish whether the sold comparable had the same advantage.
 
And if the comparable is larger, don’t assume a constant price per square metre. Smaller homes can carry a higher unit price, while this property’s five-bedroom layout may create either scarcity value or functional compromise.
 
Could the opening poster clarify whether all five rooms are legally and practically usable as bedrooms? No need to assume a problem, but bedroom count should not receive value before dimensions, windows and access are understood.
 
I would ask for a floor plan before refining anything. It answers several points at once: usable area, room sizes, circulation, stairs, light distribution and whether outdoor space is integrated with the living areas.
 
Back
Top