Valuation check: 90 m² duplex in Rio de Janeiro, asking R$7,924,000

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I would like to establish a sensible offer range for this Rio duplex, but the available comparisons are too uneven to support one figure yet. It is a 3-bed of about 90 m² in average condition, offered at R$7,924,000. The light and location appeal to me; the finishes can be changed, whereas a weak building reserve would be harder to deal with.

There are three current listings I can compare with it and just one recorded transaction. Rather than apply one blanket discount, I am considering separate cases for the dated interior and differences in floor area.

What adjustment ranges would you test? I suspect the exact micro-location, parking provision or details of that completed sale could move the valuation more than the cosmetic condition, so which would you verify first?
 
The ask works out at roughly R$88,000 per m², so I would start with the completed sale rather than average all four comparables. For condition, test several scenarios—perhaps 5%, 10% and 15%—instead of pretending one percentage is precise. I would not adjust floor area proportionally unless the units are otherwise extremely similar. Exact micro-location is probably the biggest missing fact.
 
Was the completed sale in the same building, and how recent was it? I’d also want its floor, light, parking, outdoor space and service charges. At this price, a parking-space difference or a large building contribution could matter more than whether the finishes are merely dated.
 
I’d be careful about treating the finishes as a large automatic discount. If the duplex has materially better light or a better position within the building, buyers may tolerate dated interiors. Conversely, reserve costs should not be buried inside a vague condition adjustment: estimate the unit’s likely contribution separately, or you risk counting the same problem twice.
 
I disagree slightly that the lone completed sale must be the anchor. It is only strong evidence if the building, micro-location and property characteristics are close. One poorly matched transaction can mislead more than three current listings.

I’d build low, middle and high cases. Reconcile each comparable for parking, outdoor space, floor and light first; then apply a condition allowance and separately subtract any identifiable reserve exposure. The asking comparables show current seller expectations, not necessarily achieved value.
 
That distinction is useful. Fatima, can you obtain the completed sale’s actual floor area and confirm whether 90 m² is measured on the same basis? A duplex can lose practical space to stairs or awkward circulation, so two properties with the same stated area may not offer the same usable layout.
 
My shortlist of missing information would be: exact street/building, date and terms of the completed sale, parking, private outdoor space, current service charges, and what the possible reserve spending actually covers. I’d also clarify the tenure rather than assuming “lease length” is relevant here. Until those points are known, a narrow valuation range would look more confident than the evidence supports.
 
For negotiation, I would present the analysis as adjustments from the best comparable rather than argue about one headline price per square metre. Separate observable differences from uncertain ones, and request details of the building reserves and charges before setting an offer. The formal local appraisal can then test whether your low/base/high cases are reasonable.
 
Back
Top