Valuation check: 95 m² villa in Zurich, asking CHF 686,400 (2 bed)

findTheAtlas

Property manager
CHF 686,400 is the figure I am trying to test for a 95 m², two-bedroom Zurich villa in average condition. It has good light, but the finishes are dated and I may need to carry vacancy costs. My base case assumes no appreciation.

There are three active listings that look broadly relevant, yet I have found only one completed transaction. If that sale shares the same micro-location and ownership basis, I could use it as the anchor and deduct a realistic works allowance; if not, the listing evidence may deserve more weight despite being weaker. What detail would you verify first—exact location, parking, outdoor space, tenure or layout efficiency?
 
I wouldn’t apply a generic percentage for either item. Start with the completed sale, provided it has a genuinely similar micro-location and ownership structure. Treat dated finishes as an estimated works allowance, while floor area should be adjusted only after comparing layout efficiency as well as square metres. For me, the most important missing fact is the exact micro-location of that sold comparable.
 
Before adjusting the price, is this freehold, or is there a lease with a remaining term? Also, are there service charges? Parking and outdoor space need to be separated too: included parking or exclusive garden space could explain a difference that otherwise looks like a floor-area premium.
 
I’d put ownership terms ahead of micro-location if there is any lease involved. A strong street position cannot compensate for a materially different tenure comparison.

Also, “average condition” is too broad. Dated but functional finishes are different from deferred maintenance. The first is mainly a buyer-preference discount; the second requires a list of likely work before you can make a sensible adjustment.
 
One caution on vacancy costs: they belong in an income scenario, not automatically in the property’s capital value. If this is intended for letting, show the assumed empty period and carrying costs separately. If it is for occupation, I would not deduct a speculative vacancy amount.

For the comparables, make a simple grid covering sale or asking status, floor area, layout, condition, tenure, parking, outdoor space and micro-location. Adjust in CHF rather than pretending a percentage is universally transferable.
 
With only one completed transaction, I’d use the three listings as supporting context rather than equal evidence; asking prices do not show where negotiations finish. The practical next step is to confirm the floor-area measurement basis, lease length if applicable, recurring service charges, and whether parking and outdoor space are included or separate. Then ask the local appraiser to explain any adjustment against that completed sale rather than supplying only a final number.
 
Back
Top