Valuation check: €529,000 Vienna duplex, 150 m² and accessibility

testTheVale

Property investor
There is very little firm evidence. I have three active listings and only one completed sale, so averaging all four would imply more certainty than the data supports.

The Vienna property is a one-bedroom duplex of about 150 m², offered at €529,000. It has good light and an appealing location, but the interior is dated and insurance may add to the cost. More importantly, 150 m² arranged as one bedroom may not carry the same value per square metre as a conventional layout.

Would it be more sensible to anchor the valuation to the completed sale, provided its location, access and layout are genuinely comparable, then grade the subject room by room? I also want to establish whether it has outdoor space and whether tenure or any remaining lease term applies. Those points may be harder to remedy than dated finishes. I am assuming no price growth and will seek a local valuation before proceeding.
 
One clarification: I don’t want simply to average the four comparables, especially when three are unsold listings. I’m trying to decide whether the completed sale should be the main anchor, with the asking prices used only to show current competition. Is that the more defensible approach here?
 
Yes, I would anchor to the completed sale, but only if it is genuinely comparable. How close is it, when did it complete, and does it have the same duplex layout and access? I would not apply a flat €/m² adjustment: 150 m² spread across one bedroom may not be valued like a more conventional layout of the same size.
 
“Average condition” needs breaking down before assigning a condition adjustment. Dated surfaces are different from dated plumbing, heating, windows or common areas. I would cost the clearly necessary work, then allow some uncertainty rather than selecting an arbitrary percentage. The possible insurance expense also needs to become a real annual figure or remain outside the valuation.
 
I’d put tenure ahead of micro-location as the biggest missing fact. Is this ownership, or is there a lease with a remaining term that matters? After that, I’d want the service charges and any building-level costs. A cheap-looking price per square metre can be misleading if the continuing costs are unusually high.
 
Accessibility could materially affect the buyer pool. Is there a lift to the entrance level, and how much of the 150 m² requires internal stairs? Also, do any comparables include parking or outdoor space that this duplex lacks? Those features should be separated rather than buried in one general adjustment.
 
Agreed on separating features, although I wouldn’t automatically assign parking or outdoor space a fixed value. Use matched comparisons if available: similar homes with and without each feature. With only one completed comparable, a range is more honest than a precise figure. The range should widen if the access, tenure or service-charge details remain unknown.
 
I would build three cases. Start with the completed sale, make only adjustments you can explain, and treat current asking prices as an upper-context check rather than evidence of achieved value. Then run a downside case for substantial updating and higher ongoing costs, plus a neutral case for mainly cosmetic work. No appreciation assumption is sensible for this exercise.
 
Was the completed comparable an ordinary open-market transaction, and is its completion date reasonably current? Those details could matter more than a finely tuned floor-area adjustment. I’d also examine whether both levels have useful ceiling height and natural light. Gross area is less persuasive if part of the duplex functions poorly.
 
At the asking price, the simple calculation is about €3,527 per m², but that is only a starting reference. My next steps would be to confirm tenure or lease length, service charges, access and lift arrangements, parking/outdoor-space differences, the scope of updating, and the basis of the insurance concern. Once those are known, the completed sale can be adjusted item by item instead of forcing a broad percentage.
 
Back
Top