Valuation check on 1,080 sq ft Montreal coastal home asking C$830,200

RoundRadar

Property investor
C$830,200 is difficult to justify from the evidence I have. The property is a three-bedroom coastal home in Montreal of about 1,080 sq ft, in average condition, with good light and location but dated finishes.

The quoted yield excludes several expenses paid by the owner, and possible rental-regulation costs may weaken it further. I have three current listings for comparison but only one recorded sale, so neither a simple floor-area calculation nor a broad condition discount feels reliable.

Which detail would change the assessment most: exact tenure or lease length, outdoor space, the full recurring-cost schedule, or a more precise condition grade? I plan to have the property appraised locally, but I would like to identify the weak assumptions first.
 
I would not choose between floor area and condition yet. The single sale is firmer evidence than an asking figure, but it becomes a poor benchmark if its micro-location, tenure, parking or outdoor space differs materially from this home.

If those features broadly match, use the sale as the starting point and adjust the dated work item by item rather than applying a general percentage. If they do not match, keep it only as a reference and examine the competing listings more closely. At 1,080 sq ft, an efficient three-bedroom layout may also matter more than a basic price-per-square-foot comparison.
 
The missing fact for me is the exact tenure and ongoing cost structure. You mention possible regulation costs, but are there also service charges or a lease term involved? Those could change both the yield and the pool of future buyers.

I also slightly disagree about anchoring too firmly to one sale. If its micro-location or sale circumstances differ, it may be less informative than a carefully examined current competing listing.
 
One practical way forward: put all four comparables in a simple table with floor area, condition, exact location, parking, outdoor space, tenure, recurring charges and date. Mark unknowns rather than guessing. Then calculate the yield again using every owner-paid cost you can identify. If the C$830,200 asking price only works when several missing costs are ignored, that tells you more than a precise-looking adjustment range.
 
Back
Top