Valuation check on 125 m² Rio townhouse at R$3,892,000

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
Our preferred outcome is a workable first rental, but the lack of firm sales evidence is making the valuation difficult. The property is a 2-bed townhouse in Rio de Janeiro, around 125 m² and in average condition, with an asking price of R$3,892,000. Its light and location appeal to us; the dated finishes and financing cost do not.

I can see three current listings, yet I have located just one actual sale. Should condition be handled through an overall allowance, or should each renovation item be priced separately? I’m also unsure how much weight to give floor-area differences. Which additional fact—parking, exact micro-location, lease status or something else—would alter your view most? A local appraiser will check the figures before we make a decision.
 
The tempting approach is to apply a neat condition discount, but one firm sale does not support that precision. I would use the sale as an anchor and compare exact location, usable internal space, parking and outdoor areas before attaching a cost to the dated finishes. Price per square metre alone can miss a substantial part of a townhouse’s appeal.

Then test it as a rental. If the net achievable rent and recurring service charges do not work at the proposed price, a finer renovation adjustment will not rescue the deal.
 
Is the property vacant, or does it have an existing lease? If leased, the rent and remaining lease length are important missing facts.

I partly disagree on starting with floor area: parking and usable outdoor space could explain a large price difference before condition is considered. I would also get a renovation estimate rather than treating “dated” as one grade; cosmetic finishes and necessary work are not equivalent.
 
The three listings can show what sellers hope to achieve, but the completed sale is the firmer anchor. I would make a simple comparison table covering sale date, exact micro-location, internal area, condition, parking, outdoor space, service charges and lease status. Mark unknowns rather than guessing adjustments.

Keep financing costs separate from market value: they affect what the purchase is worth to you, not necessarily what the townhouse itself is worth. The formal appraiser can then test your assumptions rather than starting from the asking price.
 
Back
Top