Valuation check on 185 m² Singapore country home asking S$1,762,000

tradeTheAnchor

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
Before deciding how far to take this, I need a defensible value range rather than a quick price-per-square-metre answer. The property is a 3-bed Singapore country home of about 185 m², in average condition and advertised at S$1,762,000. Its light and setting appeal to me, but the dated finishes and overall transaction costs make the headline price less comfortable.

The evidence is thin: three current listings and a single recorded transaction. I do not yet know whether they use the same floor-area definition or are genuinely comparable by micro-location. For example, a lower-priced home with substantial service charges may not be the cheaper option in practice. What sequence would you use to check tenure, charges, parking, outdoor space and condition before setting a range? I will still get a local appraisal rather than rely on the forum’s estimate.
 
My current thought is to treat the completed sale as the main evidence and use the three listings only to frame sellers’ expectations. I’m unsure whether to start with price per square metre and then grade condition, or compare the properties feature by feature. I also don’t yet know whether all four use the same definition of floor area.
 
The practical problem is that one closed transaction cannot support a precise adjustment table. I’d first verify the floor-area definition for all four properties, then check the completed deal’s lease details, exact setting and service charges. Until those facts line up, its price per square metre may give a false sense of accuracy.

After that, I would build a low, middle and high case instead of applying one fixed percentage for condition. A poor layout, for example, may matter more than a modest difference in stated area. Keep purchase costs outside the property value so you can see separately whether the price is supportable and whether the total cash outlay works.
 
The area definition is the first thing I’d resolve. Does the 185 m² represent enclosed internal space, or does it include terraces, balconies or other outdoor areas? Also establish whether parking is included and whether service charges apply. A price-per-square-metre comparison can be badly misleading if one figure includes space that buyers value differently.
 
I wouldn’t automatically put lease length first. A meaningful micro-location difference can outweigh a modest tenure difference, particularly when the stated strengths are light and location. The completed sale is only useful after identifying how close it really is in setting, access, outlook, parking and outdoor space. Otherwise the analysis risks making several neat adjustments to a poor comparable.
 
That’s fair. I’d grade condition by category rather than call the whole home “average”: finishes, kitchen and bathrooms, building fabric, and any obvious near-term work. Dated décor should not receive the same deduction as costly underlying issues. Without reliable cost information, use condition to place the property within a valuation range rather than forcing a precise monetary adjustment.
 
A practical spreadsheet could have one row per comparable and columns for sale versus asking price, date, area definition, lease length, exact location, condition, parking, outdoor space and service charges. Mark unknowns instead of estimating them. Then run the valuation once using only confirmed facts and again under reasonable best- and worst-case assumptions. The spread will show which missing item deserves investigation first.
 
Also work backwards from S$1,762,000 only as a negotiation exercise, not as proof of value. If the asking comparables have remained unsold, they do not establish that level; if they are newly listed, they reveal even less. I’d ask the appraiser to explain the selected completed comparables and area basis, then compare that reasoning with your scenario sheet rather than focusing only on the final number.
 
Back
Top