Valuation check on 225 m² Bengaluru townhouse with limited sold-price history

cai_listings

Landlord
₹78,070,000 feels difficult to judge when the property is a 225 m² 2-bed in only average condition. The Bengaluru location and natural light appeal to me, but the finishes need updating and I still need clarity on the property-tax cost.

I have three current listings to compare with, yet just one confirmed sale. Rather than treating the listings as achieved prices, should I start with that sale and deduct itemised renovation costs—for example, replacing the dated kitchen—while valuing the extra floor area at a lower marginal rate?

I also need to confirm what the stated area includes. Of the exact micro-location, parking, outdoor space, recurring charges, and tenure or remaining lease term if applicable, which would make you revise the estimate most? I will arrange a local appraisal before making an offer.
 
I wouldn’t apply a broad percentage adjustment for condition. List the dated items, obtain realistic replacement estimates, and deduct those plus an allowance for disruption. For floor area, avoid multiplying all 225 m² by a headline rate: additional space often has a different marginal value, especially in a 2-bed layout. The completed sale deserves the greatest weight, provided its exact micro-location and completion date are genuinely comparable.
 
What does the 225 m² include? Internal usable area, walls, terraces, parking and shared space can be presented differently. That answer could change the comparison more than the finishes. I’d also want to know whether the completed comparable had the same parking and outdoor-space arrangement. With only one sale, those differences cannot safely be averaged away.
 
I’m not convinced renovation cost should simply be deducted. A dated but functional interior may be worth more to one buyer than a seller’s recent renovation in an unwanted style. I’d grade condition consistently across all four comparables, then show a range rather than one adjusted figure. For me, precise micro-location is the biggest missing fact; even apparently nearby townhouses may not compete equally.
 
Before refining the valuation, separate facts that affect recurring ownership cost from cosmetic issues. Confirm the property-tax position, any service charges, what those charges cover, and whether the tenure or lease terms create future costs. Then verify parking rights and private outdoor space rather than relying on listing wording. A low-looking comparable may simply have a burden the subject property does not—or vice versa.
 
There is also a useful negotiation test. Ask the seller or agent how the ₹78,070,000 figure was reached and whether any of the three listed comparables have since sold or been withdrawn. Don’t treat their answer as valuation evidence, but it may reveal whether the price rests on completed transactions or merely follows other asking prices.
 
I’d build three columns: the completed sale adjusted only for verified differences; the asking comparables discounted conceptually for negotiation uncertainty, without inventing a fixed percentage; and a cost-to-cure view for the dated finishes. If those approaches overlap, you have a defensible range. If they do not, pause until the floor-area definition, micro-location and recurring charges are confirmed rather than forcing a precise number.
 
Back
Top