Valuation check on a 90 m² Rio townhouse asking R$5,292,000

meadow.far

Property investor
The practical problem is that I have only one completed sale to rely on; the other three comparisons are asking prices. Against that limited evidence, I am considering a 2-bed Rio de Janeiro townhouse of roughly 90 m² in average condition, listed at R$5,292,000.

The implied R$58,800 per m² looks precise, but I suspect it may be misleading. The property has good light and a strong location, while the finishes need updating and renovation costs may be affected by local supply. A smaller property can also carry a higher rate per square metre without supporting the same total value.

Before concentrating on a condition discount, what would you verify about the micro-location, parking or outdoor space, recurring service charges and ownership arrangement? I would especially like to know how much weight others would give that single completed comparable before obtaining a local appraisal.
 
Micro-location would change my view most. At that price, a nearby comparable may still be in a meaningfully different setting. I wouldn’t choose a condition percentage yet: estimate the necessary work, then allow separately for disruption and uncertainty. Also compare the completed sale on a total-price basis, not only price per square metre.
 
What exactly comes with the property? Parking, private outdoor space and any shared facilities could explain part of the gap. I’d also confirm the form of ownership, whether any lease term is involved, and the level of recurring service charges. A 90 m² townhouse with independent access is not necessarily comparable to a 90 m² apartment.
 
I agree that micro-location matters, but the completed sale itself is the more urgent missing detail: sale date, floor area, condition, parking and outdoor space. One transaction can mislead if it differs on several of those points. The three listings mainly show seller expectations unless you know how long they have been available and whether prices have moved.
 
Yes, the closed comparable needs to be unpacked. I’d make a simple pairwise table against the subject property and adjust only differences you can describe clearly. If the sale is smaller, don’t automatically multiply its per-m² figure by 90; smaller homes can carry a different unit price. Keep a low, central and high case rather than forcing one number.
 
Floor-area adjustments are especially awkward with townhouses because layout efficiency matters. Ninety square metres split over levels, with stairs and circulation, can feel very different from the same area on one floor. I’d want plans or at least room dimensions before treating every additional square metre as equally valuable.
 
For condition, “average” is too broad. I’d separate cosmetic finishes from kitchens, bathrooms, windows, electrical work and any building-level issues. Cosmetic datedness may be easy to price; unknown work deserves a wider allowance. That approach is more defensible than taking, say, one flat percentage off the entire R$5,292,000.
 
Parking and outdoor space may also be binary rather than smooth adjustments. If buyers in that immediate area strongly expect a parking place, having none could narrow the buyer pool. Conversely, a genuinely private terrace or garden can make a townhouse hard to match with apartment comparables. Confirm that such areas and spaces are included, not merely available informally.
 
Don’t overlook recurring charges. A lower-priced comparable with substantial service charges may not really be the cheaper ownership proposition, while an unusually independent townhouse might justify some premium. I’d request the current charges and what they cover, then keep that analysis separate from the physical-condition deduction.
 
Another point on the completed sale: timing could outweigh a finely calculated floor-area adjustment. If it is not reasonably current, you need local evidence before moving its price forward or backward. With only one closed transaction, I’d use it as an anchor and let the listings define a broad ceiling, not average all four together.
 
A practical worksheet could have columns for total price, internal area, date, exact micro-location, condition grade, parking, private outdoor space, ownership or lease details, and service charges. Mark each item as superior, similar or inferior to the subject. Any large adjustment supported only by guesswork should widen your valuation range rather than create false precision.
 
At roughly R$58,800 per m², I would ask the seller what specifically supports the premium before debating small adjustments. Light and location may be real advantages, but the answer should identify something testable in the comparables. Take the completed-sale details, plans, charge information and renovation scope to the local appraiser; those seem more likely to resolve the gap than another asking listing.
 
Back
Top