Valuing a 175 m² one-bed villa in Singapore with only one completed comparable

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Getting the valuation wrong could leave me paying for square metres that future buyers do not value. The Singapore villa is a 1-bed of about 175 m², in average condition, with an asking price of S$603,000.

Its light and location appeal to me, but the finishes are dated and I have not yet pinned down the likely maintenance, insurance or possible rental-regulation costs. I have several current listings to look at, while the evidence from completed transactions is limited to a single sale.

Would you start with that sale and use the listings only as a range, or is even that too much weight for one transaction? I still need to verify the lease length, tenure, service charges, parking, outdoor area and exact micro-location. Which of those would you establish before attempting any adjustment for the unusually large floor area and condition? I will also arrange a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
Lease length would be my first missing fact, followed by the precise tenure and micro-location. Those could make the apparent price-per-square-metre comparison misleading before condition is even considered.

I would anchor to the completed sale, not average all four properties. Then compare usable indoor space separately from terraces, gardens or other outdoor areas. A large one-bedroom layout also deserves caution: buyers may not value every extra square metre equally.
 
I wouldn’t set a condition adjustment until you know what “dated” means in cash terms. Old finishes are different from ageing wiring, plumbing, waterproofing or air-conditioning. Get an itemised scope and use low and high cost scenarios rather than one arbitrary discount.

Was the completed sale also a one-bed villa, and how close was it geographically and in sale date?
 
Also, the three active listings are evidence of seller expectations, not achieved value. They can still help if one is demonstrably superior or inferior, but time on market and later price changes would matter. With only one completed transaction, I’d present a valuation interval and show how each uncertain feature moves it rather than claim a precise figure.
 
I partly disagree that lease length automatically comes first. If the completed comparable is next door with matching tenure, the larger uncertainty may be recurring charges and maintenance exposure. A seemingly modest annual difference becomes important to affordability.

Ask for a full breakdown of service charges, insurance responsibility and any planned major works. “Villa” can describe properties with very different shared-cost arrangements.
 
Parking and outdoor space should not be buried inside the floor-area adjustment. Treat each separately. A 175 m² figure is only useful once you know what it includes and whether all of it is similarly usable.

I’d make a simple comparison table: tenure/lease, exact location, internal area, outdoor area, parking, condition, recurring charges and transaction date. Blank cells will reveal whether the supposed comparables are actually comparable.
 
Yes, and the one-bedroom configuration is central. A larger floor plate does not necessarily command the same rate per square metre as a smaller, efficiently planned home. Check whether the layout could realistically serve the same buyer pool as the completed sale, without assuming any alteration is permitted.

The rental-cost concern also needs separating from owner-occupation value. Are you valuing it primarily as a home or on expected rental income?
 
Thanks. This is mainly an owner-occupation decision, with rental flexibility as a secondary consideration. I don’t yet have confirmed details for lease length, the precise split between internal and outdoor area, or the recurring charges, so the S$603,000 ask is not something I can sensibly validate yet.

I’ll request those items, establish whether parking is included, and ask for more detail on the completed sale before commissioning the local appraisal.
 
That order makes sense. I’d add one practical step: inspect the completed comparable externally and map its walking route to transport, shops and any noise sources against this villa. “Same district” can hide a meaningful micro-location difference.

For condition, take photos and notes room by room so the appraiser can distinguish cosmetic updating from deferred maintenance. That should produce a more defensible adjustment than a single label such as average.
 
When the missing information arrives, run three cases rather than forcing one answer: favourable, middle and cautious. Keep the completed sale as the anchor, use current listings only as boundaries, and deduct separately for known work and recurring costs. If S$603,000 is supportable only when every unknown is favourable, that is useful negotiating information even before the formal appraisal.
 
Back
Top