Valuing a 195 m² coastal home in Bengaluru with only one completed comparable

EsmeAsh

Landlord
Established
I want a defensible range for this home, but the evidence is thin. It is a 5-bed coastal property in Bengaluru, about 195 m², in average condition and advertised at ₹24,630,000 after 31 days on the market. The location and natural light appeal to me; the dated interior and possible building-reserve expense do not.

There are three current listings I can compare, yet just one verified transaction. Should the active listings define only the upper end of a range, with separate adjustments for condition and the marginal value of extra space? I am also missing firm information on the micro-location, tenure or lease length, service charges, parking and outdoor space. Which of those could make the existing comparison unreliable rather than merely shift the price?

My repair fund currently equals eleven months of rent, although that may not cover everything. Before making a decision I will seek a local appraisal and verify the tenure, charges and reserve position.
 
With only one completed sale, I would avoid a standard percentage adjustment. First establish whether that sale has comparable tenure, micro-location, parking and outdoor space. Then use a low/base/high scenario: estimate dated finishes from an itemised repair budget, and treat any building-reserve liability separately so it is not counted twice.

For floor area, use the marginal value of the extra space rather than multiplying all 195 m² by one average rate. Lease length or unclear title terms would change my view most because they can make the other comparisons misleading.
 
That distinction helps. The eleven months of rent is cash I had pencilled in for repairs, not a rental valuation multiplier. I do not yet have verified figures for the service charges, reserve position or lease length, so those are obvious gaps.

How would you estimate the marginal value of extra floor area from three asking comparables and only one sale? Would you use the asking listings to set a broad range, or disregard them until there is another completed transaction?
 
I would use the asking listings, but only as evidence of current seller expectations. Compare the closest pair by micro-location and condition, then see how much additional asking price accompanies the additional floor area. That gives a scenario, not a proven adjustment.

Also examine whether five bedrooms fit comfortably within 195 m². Extra rooms do not necessarily add value if circulation and living areas have been compromised. I would not let a mechanical price-per-m² calculation hide that.
 
I would go further and not start with floor area. In a location-sensitive property, a smaller home on the better side of a development can outperform a larger one elsewhere. Map the four comparables by exact micro-location, outlook, light and noise before adjusting size.

Are the parking and outdoor areas exclusive to the property, shared, or merely mentioned in the listing? That could explain part of the price spread. And 31 days on the market alone is not enough to infer that the asking price is negotiable.
 
A practical next step is a one-page comparison table: completed or asking, tenure or lease length, exact micro-location, internal area, bedroom usability, condition, parking, outdoor space, service charges and known reserve exposure. Leave unknowns visibly blank rather than assigning them neutral values.

I would also replace the eleven-month repair allowance with a basic schedule of likely works and provisional costs. Rent and repair needs are not naturally linked. Any building-reserve shortfall should be considered separately, with the local appraiser or appropriate local adviser confirming how it may fall on the buyer. Until the lease, charges and reserve position are known, the ₹24,630,000 figure cannot be tested reliably against that single sale.
 
Back
Top