Vancouver 1-bed at C$1.789m and C$7,955/month rent — sanity check

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
The advertised case produces a gross yield near 5.3%, but I hesitate to rely on it before confirming the rent and full ownership costs. This is a Vancouver 1-bed coastal home priced at C$1,789,000, with projected rent of C$7,955 a month and no appreciation included in my figures.

I have allowed for vacancy, management, normal upkeep and one substantial repair, and the building appears sound. I still need to test the result against financing changes and a longer empty period. Which local expense or building record should I verify first, and what net return would make that uncertainty acceptable to you?
 
Before refining the expense side, I’d challenge the C$7,955 rent. It is expected rent, not income from a signed lease, so the whole 5.3% starts with an unverified figure. Confirm what comparable 1-beds actually achieve, on what rental terms, and how long they remain available. A small rent miss could matter more than an overlooked maintenance item.
 
Is this in a strata building? If so, the missing inputs are the regular strata fee and the possibility of major shared-building work beyond your in-unit repair reserve. I’d also want the actual property-tax figure and an insurance quote for this specific home. “Coastal” can affect the insurance discussion, but the address and building details matter.
 
I’m less convinced vacancy is the main risk. If the rent is correctly set, turnover costs and the time needed to find another tenant at nearly C$8,000 may be more important than applying a generic vacancy percentage. Model a full turnover event: lost rent, cleaning or repairs, management/leasing costs and a possible lower rent for the next tenancy.
 
The annual gross rent is C$95,460. At the C$1,789,000 price, that does support about 5.3% gross, but there is not much room before the net figure becomes ordinary.

For illustration only, if all operating costs and vacancy absorb 25% of rent, the yield falls to about 4.0% before financing. I wouldn’t choose a target net yield without comparing it with your financing cost, liquidity needs and alternative uses for C$1.789m.
 
I’d make the next step a short evidence list rather than adjusting assumptions again: current property tax, building or strata charges if applicable, insurance quote, management proposal, realistic maintenance allowance, and several genuinely comparable rental listings. Then run the rent at C$7,955, 10% lower and 20% lower. Financing should be a separate sensitivity so it doesn’t obscure the property’s operating performance.
 
Helpful pushback. The C$7,955 is the supplied expected rent, not a signed lease, so I agree it needs validating before I spend time debating whether vacancy should be 3% or 6%. I’ll separate property-level yield from financing and add lower-rent cases, one full turnover, and any strata/shared-building exposure. The insurance and property-tax figures are still missing.
 
That approach is better, but also calculate the break-even monthly rent after fixed ownership costs. It will show whether a rent reduction merely trims the return or turns cash flow negative. I’d keep any appreciation case completely separate, as you planned. If the deal only works at C$7,955 with smooth occupancy and no major building expense, the headline yield is not compensating you for much uncertainty.
 
Back
Top